Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

david jenkins

v3.1.1 configurator crash

Post by david jenkins »

Managed to crash it... :(

Windows 2000 SP4
Configurator 3.1.1
'Tuning' view showing
Not connected to the MJ unit (just playing with the software)

I had seen other people's screenshots where the advance, rpm and load panes were lined up on the left side of the screen, and the tuning pane on the right, so I thought I'd have a go. Pulled the 3 panes off the main window to the left and lined them up on the desktop, leaving the tuning view behind in the main window. Tried playing with the tuning pane and failed, so clicked on 'edit config' button. Clicked back onto tuning and got a crash. No useful info in the crash notification window, but it said that an error report had been written - but I couldn't find it.

I was able to reproduce this crash: If you move the panes off the main window they sometimes stay semi-transparent. If you have panes off the main window, then change the view to 'edit' or 'run-time' and then back to 'tuning' you get a crash.

Also, when playing around I can see that there is a usability problem with the main window - you can take a pane (e.g. advance) and take it right off the main window. If you're currently running full-screen there's no way to recover it, or to bring it back into view. You can get them back if you reduce the size of the main window and go searching for the panes. It would be good to have some means of restoring their position to the default.

David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the detailed report. I suspect this happens with all versions of the configurator since I haven't modified the window management stuff recently.

I'll have a go at reproducing it, it should be easy to spot.

Thanks,
Brent

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I'm sorry- I wasn't able to repeat it.. But I totally beleive it happens! :) I'll try it again on my windows 2000 box.

Are you able to reproduce it reliably?

Regarding loosing the gauges, I think perhaps a "Restore defaults" on the View menu might be a good idea?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

Tried this with WinXP SP2 and can't get the crash no matter what!
Maybe something to do with Win2000?

Similar issue with locating the panes though and actually uninstalled v3.1.1 and reinstalled at one point to recover.

edit:
Playing with it on desktop (it's not normally installed there)
Once the panes are undocked they can't be docked side by side in the default or as-installed state.
Again, an uninstall / reinstall required to fix it.

No grumbles from me though - I'd probably never bother to undock the panes other than for this test!!
Last edited by aarc240 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Remember, if you 'close' one of the floating gauges, you can retrieve it again by clicking the 'view' menu. Would this address your problem?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

No - it just restores the pane to the last location (on the desktop in this instance).
Last edited by aarc240 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Ok, understood.

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

aha!! Your question provided the clue to an admittedly indirect solution.
With the panes on the desktop, drag them one at a time onto the main window so that the cursor and the top title bar (usually blue) is ON the edge of the main window and release the pane.
Doesn't matter whether that is side or bottom.
The pane will then appear within the main window either full height on one side or full width at the bottom.
Repeat with the other panes.
The result at this point is a series of three full height or fill width panes PLUS the map/tuning/runtime display.
NOW close ALL THREE panes and then use 'View' to re-open them.
Bingo - they are all lined up along the bottom like good little soldiers!!

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

Oops! I should have clarified that 'desktop' in my edit actually referred to 'desktop PC' as distinct from 'laptop'.
Nothing to do with the 'Windows desktop' which is of course where the app runs on both machines.
Sorry if I inadvertently led you in a wrong direction.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Ok, cool. The window manager lets you mix and match the UI to your heart's content, and each 'view' remembers the position of the gauges, as you switch back and forth.

Maybe we need a short user's manual for the software, eh? :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

brentp wrote: Maybe we need a short user's manual for the software, eh? :)
Now there's an original concept! :P

I was able to reproduce it a few times - as someone else noted, if you drag the pane partially off (e.g. leave the margin overlapping) then this may have effect. Maybe you need to test by dragging the panes to different different degrees of 'off-ness' - partially off, fully off - to get the crash.