Tuning problem with new firmware.

Report problems on the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

xwdewar

Post by xwdewar »

I have all the gear installed, the car is running with the basic MAP, on LPG and ULP.
With 3.2.1 config with dual maps enabled, adjusting map option 2.
The problem Im having is that when tuning I can adjust a setting/cell a few times and then for some reason it stops updating. For instance, at idle I was adjusting a cell up to 36 deg in 5 deg steps from 16 deg, when I decided to adjust the advance back down, the indicator would flash up as 16 deg and revert back to 36. Do I need to do it in smaller steps?
I would adjust the setting and write to the MJLJ and commit to flash and it would still revert back to 36 deg.

I have tried adjusting map 1 and it wont save the settings either, any ideas as to what I have done or where I should head next.

Cheers

1969 Ford Falcon XW, precrossflow 250CI, 350 Holley
3speed column Auto, Dual Fuel(LPG/ULP)
EDIS-6 Module (USA)
1996 Ford Falcon EF Coilpack and VR sensor

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

A few questions:

* How are you updating the value 5 degrees at a time- are you typing in a new value in the grid cell?

* Are you using the 3d tuning window or the main grid?
- if you're using the 3D tuning window are you enabling live 'updating' of the configuration by pressing the U key?

- if you're using the main grid:
- Are you pressing the 'write ignition config' button in the toolbar, correct?
- Also, when actually editing the cell value you need to click away so you don't see the up/down spin buttons - this takes you out of 'edit mode' and the grid is updated with the new value.

* Are you seeing any communications-type error messages at the bottom of the screen when this happens?

* Are you using a USB-serial converter, and which type?

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

xwdewar

Post by xwdewar »

* How are you updating the value 5 degrees at a time- are you typing in a new value in the grid cell?
I am updating in the main grid using the spin buttons
- if you're using the main grid:
- Are you pressing the 'write ignition config' button in the toolbar, correct?
- Also, when actually editing the cell value you need to click away so you don't see the up/down spin buttons - this takes you out of 'edit mode' and the grid is updated with the new value.

Once i have changed the figure, I click out of the cell and it stays at the correct figure then I click on the write config button in the toolbar and the advance guage momentarily changes from 36 to 16 then back to 16, while the cell remains at 16. If I then change to map1 and back to map2 the cell changes back to 36.

I have not noticed any comms errors, I will have another look tonight and see if there is anything else.

The car is running fine on the basic map (map1) so I can still get around, just not sure if I have not set something up correctly.
[/quote]

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Ah. you need to click 'write flash' before flipping between ignition configurations. In the software you will see a message "Ignition Configuration X loaded" when you flip the switch.

A little background- the MJLJ has RAM and 'Flash memory' - think of the Ignition Configuration stored in Flash like a file on your computer's disk. When you flip the switch, the selected Ignition Config is copied from Flash to the working area in RAM.

Hope this helps,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

xwdewar

Re: Tuning problem with new firmware.

Post by xwdewar »

xwdewar wrote:Once i have changed the figure, I click out of the cell and it stays at the correct figure then I click on the write config button in the toolbar and the advance guage momentarily changes from 36 to 16 then back to 16, while the cell remains at 16. If I then change to map1 and back to map2 the cell changes back to 36.
My mistake there the advance guage changes momentarily from 36 to 16 then back to 36 while the cell stays at 16.

Thanks for the other info I will try to get some tuning done on the weekend.

xwdewar

Post by xwdewar »

I did some work on the car on the weekend and have found that when I change a cell setting I have to write config and then flash within 5 seconds or the advance guage will change back to the original value.
For instance if I change a cell from 16 to 20, click out of the cell and write config the advance guage will temporarily show 20 and after about 5 secs it will show 16 again, even though the cell is still set at 20. If however I change the cell write config and then flash the setting within 5 secs the advance guage will remain at the changed value.
This really wasnt helpful while I was on the Dyno, as I wasnt sure what was happening at the time. Is this the way that it has to be tuned?
Cheers

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Darren,

This isn't normal behaviour. The processor might be resetting itself for some reason- every time a reset occurs the ignition map in flash is copied back to RAM. A power cycle / reset would cause this to happen.

So see if it happens when the engine isn't running- i.e. make changes to the map with the ignition to 'on', wait a while, then click the button that fetches the ignition config. See if the values stay the same.

If you can verify the values persist, then run the engine and see what happens.

A bad connection or significant electrical noise could cause this- so seeing how it behaves under different conditions is key.

Let us know what you find out,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter