old win 98 laptop

Report problems on the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

rodneystevens

windows 98 problem

Post by rodneystevens »

I can get version 3.2.1 to work with both the RPM and TPS needles moving but after about a minute it stops responding. it would be good if it was fixed but windows 98 is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Thanks for spending the time on this problem Brent

Only got mine all working on a bench yesterday. the hardware works fine.

Thanks Rod

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

There is another topic where communication stops, but only with the engine running. Might this be your case?

The primary differences between V3.0.0 and V3.2.1 were around serial communications.

One thing I was thinking for you guys to try is this:

1. Go into the system registry, find the MJLJ entries under HKLM/Software/Megajolt Lite Jr.... , and update the COM port entry to a COM port that doesn't exist on your system.
2. Run the configuration software and see if the behaviour changes.

With the invalid setting it will simply not be able to open the port- and might help point to the problem.

Are you able to communicate with the MJLJ using the hyperterminal troubleshooting steps?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

westfield

Post by westfield »

Brent

I do not have any keys for Megajolt in Local Machine - even for the v3.0.0 software which does work (albeit without the EDIS connected)

There are entries in other areas of the registry but none refer to com ports

Tony

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry, I misspoke. It's under Hkey_current_user/Software. You should find the com port setting there.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

westfield

Post by westfield »

Brent

Thanks. I looked there but there is no mention of a com port at all.

I have made a copy of that registry key and I am attaching it to this post in case it helps.

If I look in version 3.0.0 I also do not see any reference to a com port.

regards

Tony
Attachments
megajolt 3.2.1.doc
(23 KiB) Downloaded 1506 times

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

Just to wake this problem up again... :twisted:

I opened up the MJ config software on my Linux box, using the Wine emulator, to get a screenshot of my map. The configurator doesn't quite work, but that's not unsurprising. What was noticeable was that upon closing the application, the Megajolt banner was still up on screen - it hadn't been closed properly once the main program had started.

Now I appreciate that any results coming from this environment are hardly relevant - but this is the same symptom as seen on my Win98 box. Under that OS the banner blocks the main program, but Linux is a bit cleverer in running the banner and main app in a different thread.

If it was my bit of code, I'd be wondering if that banner is being closed correctly...

cheers,
David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Apologies for the late reply.

1. I have a win98 disc, so I'll find a machine to dual boot and see if I can reproduce the problem.
2. Tony, I looked at your regfile and it seems it doesn't get to the point where it creates the regfile entries for the COM port. Is interesting.

Anyone have win95 to try this on?

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter