slow software

Report problems on the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mini-sprite

slow software

Post by mini-sprite »

It takes an age for the software to start up and sometimes freezes, i'm running windows XP anything i can try to speed it up?

Paul

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello Paul,

Can you provide the specifications of the machine you are running- Processor, memory, free hard drive space? if you don't know, list the manufacturer and model of the PC.

What version of the Configuration software are you using?

Are you using a USB-Serial adapter, or a regular serial port?

Is it slow in general, or just on a particular function, like the 3D tuning view?

If you bring up the software with the MJLJ disconnected (and any USB-Serial adapter unplugged from your machine...)-- does it improve, worsen or stay the same?

Also, please bring up task manager while the software is running, and click on the "processes" tab. Sort by CPU usage, high->low. What applications show the highest CPU usage?

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

One more thing- If anyone is running the software on an especially slow machine, please reply indicating how 'usable' the software is, in terms of responsiveness/performance of the application.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mr_bridger

Post by mr_bridger »

Pii 600mhz, 300mb ram compaq laptop.... runs like a dream.... (slow PC by todays standards.... originally had win98 but now runs XP)

Ross.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I have a IBM pIII laptop, 800 mhz. It runs fine on that, standard serial connection, 128 meg of ram, win98 SE.

Now I use a gAteway, AMD turion, 2 gig, Radio Shack usb-serial, works fine too. Vista is a pain though, but not for Megajolt :evil:

mini-sprite

Post by mini-sprite »

brentp wrote:Hello Paul,

Can you provide the specifications of the machine you are running- Processor, memory, free hard drive space? if you don't know, list the manufacturer and model of the PC.

What version of the Configuration software are you using?

Are you using a USB-Serial adapter, or a regular serial port?

Is it slow in general, or just on a particular function, like the 3D tuning view?

If you bring up the software with the MJLJ disconnected (and any USB-Serial adapter unplugged from your machine...)-- does it improve, worsen or stay the same?

Also, please bring up task manager while the software is running, and click on the "processes" tab. Sort by CPU usage, high->low. What applications show the highest CPU usage?

Thanks,
celeron 1.3ghz
10gig free
1g/b memory
version 4.0.0
using the usb serial adapter
its slow to load(2mins), once loaded its fine.
its the same when disconnected
when i bring up task manager and click on the processes tgab i dont have an option for "sort by cpu usage? all the applications are showing zero usage? might not be doing what you asked properly though.

Paul

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

See the attached- sort CPU usage from high to low, this puts the apps consuming the most CPU at the top of the list.

So far hard to say why it's running slow on your machine. Do you have another machine, with similar capabilities you can try it on?

Do all of your other apps run fast enough?

I'm actually surprised to see that others are running so well on such slow machines- I guess that's good! :)

Paul, only as a test, could you download the 3.2.1 configuration software and run it by itself to see if it makes any difference?

Finally, when you say "disconnected" you actually mean the USB-Serial adapter was *unplugged* from your machine? this is important.

Thanks,
Attachments
task_man_screen_cap.png
task_man_screen_cap.png (53.29 KiB) Viewed 19869 times
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mini-sprite

Post by mini-sprite »

All my other apps run fine, ive got another mini that runs complete fuel and ignition on DTA and this runs fine.

Where can i download the older version from i can only fine 4.0.1 newer version?

Nothing is connected (serial was unplugged) to the laptop when i try the software.

Ive tried the task manager thing again Brent and the configuarator is way down the list.

Ive run the sortware on my desktop which is only slightly better than the laptop and it loads quickly. Looks like its my laptop :cry: Its a Dell inspiron 2200 if anyone else has any problems.

Thanks for the help so far :D

Paul

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for checking that. Aside from the configuration software low on the list, is there anything high on the list using a large percentage of the CPU's resources?

Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Oh- download the 3.2.1 here:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V3_Downloads

Just install, test and uninstall. It won't interfere with your 4.0.0 installation.

Also, there's a 4.0.1 SW version you should install while you're at it.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mini-sprite

Post by mini-sprite »

system idle processes is top of the list and appears to be taking up 92% cpu usage when software is open. I tried the older software and it is still slow. Not sure what to do now :oops:

Paul

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If the slowdown is coming from the UI-redrawing you might consider looking for an updated driver for your graphics chipset.

You can also try running the software after booting up in windows "safe mode", this runs windows in a 'leaner' mode with a default VGA graphics drivers, in addition to not loading a number of other background services.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mini-sprite

Post by mini-sprite »

I started it in safe mode and the software loaded straight away. I then had a look at the graphics adapter and tried to update it. I am using the latest one apparently :D.

I noticed that i had 2 of the same graphics drivers loaded but no conflicts so i uninstalled one of them and rebooted the software now loads as all the other software does :P

Thanks for all of your help, i'm glad its sorted.

Paul

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yes!! Now go and tune! :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter