Strange momentary cutout

Report problems on the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

DannyP

Strange momentary cutout

Post by DannyP »

I never noticed this before, but when I use my turn signal, I get a momentary ignition cutout on the second flash of the signal. When the following signals flash there is no more glitch, only one. My turn signal has a trailer adapter on the rear, which is where the second flash is. I have a feeling that the electronic adapter box is where this glitch is from. Doesn't matter if it is left or right, headlights on or off. I never had this before I changed to the newest Beta of V3, and programmed the temp compensation.

Tomorrow I will investigate this with a DVM.

Any ideas?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Try not using your blinkers. :)

Seriously, focus on the electrical change first- it's pretty unlikely the firmware changes in the unit would've caused this. Try unplugging your temp sensor and moving the wire to the temp sensor away from any interferers.

Also, if it's a *hard* cut-out, like dropping spark, the source could be the EDIS module.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Thanks a lot, don't use your blinkers!

Most people drive like that, nobody would notice anyway.

I am thinking I may be picking up some interference/noise via the temp sensor wiring. It would be simple to filter it if I only knew the frequency.
I am going to run a big ground from my MJ setup all the way back to the battery. The MJ is grounded very near the turn signal adapter as is.
Also, I will have to check for a power spike that may be dumping my relays. The MJ and EDIS is powered directly from the battery via a 10 gauge wire, as is the coil on it's own. Everything is switched via two relays from the ignition key.

The other alternative is to rewire the stop/turn signal circuit to NOT include a trailer harness adapter.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Well, I did the last line of my previous post. I had a hunch that the "trailer adapter" was the problem. I was right. You see, early VW Bugs were wired with separate turn and stop lights. My car is wired like a Bug, so an adaptor is needed as Spyders had a combo turn/stop light. So for some reason the turn signals were interfering with Megajolt and/or EDIS. I could waste the time figuring out why, but since the glitch is gone, I don't care.

So I rewired the car to skip the adapter. I had always hated the way the car was wired, from the factory, not by me. I got a circuit online that uses 5 relays, two diodes, and a flasher. I added two more relays and a SPST switch to give me 4-ways or hazard flashers. The car never had them. Before, the turn signal flashed unevenly, and not as bright as I would've liked. Now it signals evenly and brightly.

And the best part, the momentary glitch, in the form of an ignition miss/stutter, is GONE!

:D :D :D :D

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Cool, maybe you were getting a voltage sag before the relays. Either way, good news!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Brent, I didn't say, but I checked for that. I put an analog voltmeter on the Megajolt/EDIS power supply(at the unit) and the ground on the frame where the ignition is mounted. Not a bump or flicker of the needle when turning on the blinkers, but the glitch was still there. So I figured it had to be some sort of signal spike that was interfering with the ignition. Logical conclusion, right? It just worked out that I had wanted to change the blinkers, rather than change/move the EDIS/Jolt setup.