Minor issue with timeout after connection

Report problems on the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

sunray

Minor issue with timeout after connection

Post by sunray »

I just installed my new V4 mjlj to replace my damaged V3 mjlj. Had a friend put the kit together and used a 9V battery with my wife's windows 7 laptop to upload my first map. Worked just fine! I even figured out how to make windows 7 load new firmware ( but it turns out it was already loaded).

Anyway, my older windows xp laptop would not connect but I'll worry about that later.

My issue is that I start the car and connect my wifes laptop (yes, windows7). Once the car has been running for about a minute the configuration software freezes and shows a timeout message. If I disconnect and reconnect the usb/serial adapter it works again. If I do not start the car and just leave it KOEO the software works fine, you can flash new settings etc. Issue only happens when the engine is finally running. Using a usb/serial adapter that I used with the V3 unit and no issues. Also using the autosport labs serial/rj11 adapter and rj11 cable.

Other than this it runs like a champ again, thanks to Brent and Ryan!

sunray

Post by sunray »

Oh, forgot to mention that if you close the laptop to enter hibernate and then open it again, the configurator communicates again for maybe another 30seconds and then freezes.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

So only when the engine is running? Its likely due to interference in the usb-serial adapter fom the ignition coils or alternator. On reason to explain why its not happening on v3 is that the baud rate is higher with v3- 38000 vs 4800 baud. The higher speed may be more susceptible to noise.

Previous users with this problem have solved it by extending the usb-serial adapter further away from thr unit / car through the use of a extension cable. You might want to try that too.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

sunray

Post by sunray »

I'll give it a try, thanks Brent! Right now the mjlj is mounted on the right kick panel so the adapter sits on the passenger seat when the car is running. The nice thing at least is this issue doesn't prevent me from changing settings it just prevents datalogging.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Let us know what you find out.

If you test it on a system with a built-in serial port I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you won't see this issue.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

sunray

Post by sunray »

That is likely true but I haven't seen a system with a built-in serial port for at least 6 years. We have a very effective electronics recycling program combined with very techy people in Victoria.