corrupt map data?

Report problems on the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

simon k

corrupt map data?

Post by simon k »

hi there, long time lurker, first time poster - everything with the megajolt just goes so well I didn't need to ask for any help!

just a bit of background - I have a 1970 Mini, 1310cc with fairly hot road performance, been running MJLJ V4 for about 18 months. It's my daily driver and I compete in motorkhana/autocross type events once a month or so. I have two maps loaded into the MJ, map 1 is for every day use and rarely changes, it's one I downloaded from here, posted by KLAS. Map 2 is for when I am tuning and have a map for a specific purpose. At present, map 2 has every cell set to 10 degrees, I'd moved my sensor and needed to readjust the trigger offset - keeping it fixed at 10 degrees makes it easy to set the offset.

Some time after my last event, my car's performance became a bit flat, and didn't get around to checking anything for a few weeks - on Friday I was fiddling and found the car ran better if I flipped the switch to map 2 - the fixed 10 degrees map. With map 1 selected, I plugged in my computer into the MJ and when I clicked the "Get Iginition Configuration" button, I got an error (sorry I didn't get a screen shot) saying something like the map data was too high (86) and try again or re-write the ignition configuration. Flipping to map 2 and it downloaded fine, back to map 1, same error. I re-wrote my ignition map from the file and everything is great again, but I can't see how the configuration for map 1 could have become corrupted.

Does this ring any bells? I'd love to be able to give more information on when and how it happened, but I have no idea

thanks
Simon

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Hi and welcome to the forum Simon

So do you now have fulll use of map1 and map2 now or are you just using map2 at the moment???

It could of been an error with the memory in the processor chip and it might be an indication that this chip maybe starting to fail. The best thing i believe you could do is to keep a record of further problems letting the forum know and if it becomes a persistent problem then let us know and we should be able to help you sort the problem.

You could also try loading the latest firmware onto the controller as if the firmware has become corrupted on the processor chip then a simple reloading of the firmware can sometimes resolve the issue. This is something you can do yourself http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_Firmw ... rade_Guide
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

A couple of thoughts.

A poor quality USB-serial adapters may corrupt the data in-route to the PC (and vice-versa). Some USB-serial adapters are also poorly shielded from electrical noise. Does this happen more often with the engine running or not?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

simon k

Post by simon k »

thanks guys... I just wanted to see if this was a known issue, or whether I'm just special
NITROPIXIE wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum Simon

So do you now have fulll use of map1 and map2 now or are you just using map2 at the moment???

It could of been an error with the memory in the processor chip and it might be an indication that this chip maybe starting to fail. The best thing i believe you could do is to keep a record of further problems letting the forum know and if it becomes a persistent problem then let us know and we should be able to help you sort the problem.

You could also try loading the latest firmware onto the controller as if the firmware has become corrupted on the processor chip then a simple reloading of the firmware can sometimes resolve the issue. This is something you can do yourself http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_Firmw ... rade_Guide
Hi Nitropixie

I do have full use of maps 1 and 2 now - once I reloaded the corrupt map it was all good (back scaring the crap out of myself)

I'll certainly keep a record of it if it happens again, and make sure I take a screenshot - I know from experience how pointless it is to try to solve a problem with a vague description. I'll wait and see if it happens again before reloading the firmware, I am using v4.0.2, but a reload may help.

I'll go over my power and earths as well
brentp wrote: A couple of thoughts.

A poor quality USB-serial adapters may corrupt the data in-route to the PC (and vice-versa). Some USB-serial adapters are also poorly shielded from electrical noise. Does this happen more often with the engine running or not?
Hi Brent, it's not an issue with the USB-Serial adapter... it was fine for a while (days or weeks) after loading the map, and corrected after I re-loaded the (apparently) corrupt map

edit: it's only happened the one time - I'd guess one 'event' that did something to the piece of memory where the map data is stored... or something