V3.0.0 / V3.1.0 Configurator USB-Serial problems

Report problems on the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

hammy

USB to Rs232

Post by hammy »

I too have had connections problems; I bought a device with "hugepine" driver/chip set -it will not work with Mega jolt at all. Another device I have borrowed from work (FTDI chip set) does work fine.

Both cables install with no errors reported by Windows (XP home). I don't know if this is a cable or MJ problem. The "hugepine" type certainly get a big slatting on the internet.

I have just ordered an alternative cable with the same chip set as the Belkin (FTDI) , so... fingers crossed.

Paul.

Hammy
X/F Wessie owner
Hammy
X/F Wessie owner and forum Groupie

brentp
Site Admin

Hi Hammy, Thanks for

Post by brentp »

Hi Hammy,

Thanks for identifying the chip set you're having problems with, I'm picking up a cheap adapter that has this chipset installed for testing. I should have a pretty quick resolution on it once I have the adapter in-hand.

Brent

Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

T3tone

Configurator info.

Post by T3tone »

I can only save a new configuration using the 0.2.2.1260 tuner, all others cause problems with error messages saying it cant read certain values. I am using the serial adaptor in the following link.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITA ... y=8m2#spec

4600cc

Driver for that one says

Post by 4600cc »

Driver for that one says Prolific Technology Inc..

brentp
Site Admin

lol :) Yes, I'm getting one

Post by brentp »

lol :) Yes, I'm getting one of those too for testing.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

4600cc

Well, you dont need that

Post by 4600cc »

Your software works with my USB-2-Serial, which also has prolific chipset. It starting working after the fix.

hammy

Configuration "time out reading runtime data"

Post by hammy »

Unfortunately still having problems, even with my new lead....

- I have flased for 3.0 and have also done same for 3.1. (TPS ,throttle and map postion move).

- Can communicate ok with hyperterminal
- Can upload map data from MJ and view runtime with either Win 3.0 or 3.1 versions
- If I change a setting and down load seeems to work ok , but get "timeout reading runtime error" . If I then coommitt to flash, it works ok followed by the same error.
If I then switch off and on again I find the map actually hasn't been altered at all.

( I think it does actually change a setting if I download the chage as I can hear the engine not change) .

I've tried altering com port settings, timeouts etc but to no effect.

HELP ! what do I do next!!

Hammy
X/F Wessie owner
Hammy

hammy

Further to my last note "timeout reading"

Post by hammy »

Hi,

I've downloaded "4600"'s software and that works fine ,including flashing..

:).

- maybe still a USB/RS232 issue in V3.1 ???

Hammy
X/F Wessie owner
Hammy

hammy

My failed USB lead (reborn)

Post by hammy »

Yep 4600 my "hugepine" lead does work with your software :(

hmmmmm....

could you not write the coms bit for version 3.1? :)

Hammy
X/F Wessie owner
Hammy

4600cc

Try taking the USB-2-Serial

Post by 4600cc »

Try taking the USB-2-Serial in question and installing it again, the procedure for proper installation is as follows:

<ud>
<li>1. Insert USB-2-Serial into the USB hole on your laptop, then insert drivers CD into the CD-ROM.</li>
<li>2. When prompted to install drivers, select option for installing automatically.</li>
<li>3. When you done with installation, click Finish, unplug your USB-2-Serial adapter, and plug it into the next USB hole on your laptop, then go back to step 1. </li>
</ud>

Idea is to install drivers for all USB ports on your laptop. After you done with that, restart computer. Try it now, if it dont work with any of the tuners, try testing using hyper terminal. If hyper terminal test passes but tuner still dont work, then yes, tuner has a problem with your USB-2-Serial/laptop combination. It is possible that this old version wont work with that particular USB-2-Serial adapter, as the fix for compatibility with all adapters came much later in development.

brentp
Site Admin

Hammy,There is a known

Post by brentp »

Hammy,

There is a known issue with USB-Serial drivers using the "Huge Pine" chipset. I should have it resolved soon- in the meantime, it seems you have some other options. If you have a different brand adapter you might want to try that one.

Regards,
Brent

P.S. I renamed the thread to be more accurate so others can find this information as well.

Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

V3.0.0 / V3.1.0 Configurator USB-Serial problems

Post by brentp »

Brent,

Here is what I have, Configurator v3.0.0b2, and version 2 board. Controller is connected on my table, via USB to serial. When I open Configurator, it connects and gets state, reading rpm 457, and map around 101 to 102.

So I load a new map, and click Write Ignition Configuration, and then Commit Configuration to Flash. Then I click Get Ignition Configuration, it works, all nice. Then I close the program. Open it, it connects and when it gets config, table is all messed up, with values sky high off the screen. I switch to Configuration and there is no numbers displayed in table.

If at this point I press Get Config I get a message box:

---------------------------
Unhandled exception
An unhandled exception occurred. Press "Abort" to terminate the program,

"Retry" to exit the program normally and "Ignore" to try to continue.
Abort Retry Ignore

Now I can close your program, and open my old program, 0.2.2.1260, press Get Config and config table is totally messed up, it has values from 0,0 to 2,4, but from then on everything is zero. Now, if I do Get Config in my new program, where there is a little more debugging, there are values up until 2,4, but at 2,4 Id get ignition advance of 114, and from then on everything is zero, plus Get Config function returns as failed.

To get things back to normal, I have to disconnect power to my controller and power it back up. After that it works perfect when using the old java tuner, my old tuner, or my new tuner.

So, what the hell is going on? Your tuner dont work! Please let me know what this is, so I know what to do with this.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

hammy

Comms problems continued

Post by hammy »

Couple of things relating to coms problems

1. Reading through postings I noticed one about the wrong value capacitors being specified for the RS232 chip ( 0.1 instead of 1.0) and wondered if this may be behind the coms faults people are having with Ver 3.0 and 3.1 software- I don't know if this is relevant but I raise it here.

2. I've noticed that the port of the Pc seems to "hang up" from time to time and I need to re-boot the computer to be able to connect to the MJ (Happens with Ver 3.1 and 4600's software).

I'm not sure if any of this helps , but posted in just case it rings a bell with Brent or whoever.

[I'm still using 4600's software as the only means for tuning megajolt, but can monitor with versions 3.0 or 3.1]

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Hammy,

Problems around builds with the incorrect capacitor/max232 has only shown up when trying to upload new firmware using the programming utility, since that uses 9600 baud instead of the 4800 baud, which is what the configuartion software is using.

The remaining known issue regarding communication is with USB-serial adapters that have the "Huge Pine" chipset, something I'm currently working on for the next 3.1 release. Is this the adpater you're currently using? or are you using a standard com port?

If you're using a different USB-Serial adapter I would like to know the brand / model / or where you purchased it so I can add it to the list for testing.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

hammy

Post by hammy »

Thx for your reply Brent,

I have both a "huge pine" and another type with a different chip set ( can't recall what it is tho ... damn..sorry) . The second one will read data but not write it. Both are USB to RS232 adapters.

If you fix the hugepine issue all will be wonderful .

-Very pleased with Megajolt even with these problems, as I said I'm using 4600's software at the minute ,which is fine with either lead. Car, which has a non vac advance dizzy, runs much smoother with MJ, the part throttle advance giving me less spitting back through the carbs. Cool device, keep up the good work.

:)