V3.0.0 / V3.1.0 Configurator USB-Serial problems

Report problems on the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Thanks for the report.

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the report.

In my testing I haven't seen this yet. Have you been able to reproduce this consistently? Note it's possible that it was a problem in the controller as it cleared itself when you power cycled the unit.

Are you running your controller from battery? If so make sure the supply voltage is high enough.

If anyone else sees this it would be helpful to know.

Also - in case it was related to the file you're trying to load, can you send me the file you were loading?

You might want to consider a more descriptive title for your thread as well. :)

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

4600cc

It dont work, it dont get

Post by 4600cc »

It dont work, it dont get more descriptive that that. :))

Yes, I am able to reproduce this again and again. Im using 12 VDC power supply, 1.0 amps. Im also going to try it using a 9V battery now.

Fact: controller works perfectly when using java tuner, my old tuner, or my new tuner. Im going to send you the file.

brentp
Site Admin

Can you tell me what brand /

Post by brentp »

Can you tell me what brand / model USB-serial adapter you're using? are you able to test with a standard serial port or a different brand adapter? I'm using the Belkin F5U409 with success.

I tried a different adapter and might've seen something similar to what you're reporting.

Brent

Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

4600cc

The results using a 9V

Post by 4600cc »

The results using a 9V duracell ultra are as follows:

Connected battery securely, started up Configurator, it got state data and config data at start up. I open the config file, updated data, and written flash. Then, without restarting the Configurator, I press get config, it it timesout. Ive tried several times.

Then I close Configurator, and open it again, times out, can not read config data.

Now Ive dome same steps as in first paragraph, but now I tried get config using 3 other tuners, failed, cant even connect to megajolt.

When I reset the power, it works.

Im able to reproduce this behaviour again and again, Ive tried 5 times, results are the same.

Power supply in the original report is 12V DC, 1.0A.. <a target="_blank" href="http://www.planet82.com/english/bizarea ... _01.asp</a> Battery in second set of tests is 9V healthy battery that runs Megasquirt II just fine. Also note that while using this battery and that power supply, controller works perfectly with 3 other tuners.

4600cc

Im using a cheap generic

Post by 4600cc »

Im using a cheap generic adapter off eBay, it has Prolific chipset in it. Ill tell you what results I get when using a real COM port on my PC.

4600cc

No errors all works fine

Post by 4600cc »

No errors all works fine when using a real com port. :)

That dont mean everything is well, as my tuners, and I think java tuner works. Can you fix this?

brentp
Site Admin

I've released the beta 3

Post by brentp »

I've released the beta 3 version of the configuration software. I have a potential fix for the USB-Serial adapter problem; it seemed to improve things with the other adapter I had that was giving me problems. Let me know if you see an improvement!

Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

4600cc

Yes, looks like it works.

Post by 4600cc »

Yes, looks like it works. What did you do? Find my fix? ReadByte instead of ReadBuffer? Using winapi ReadFile function to read single byte at a time makes it work very well, reading the whole buffer makes it crash. :)

Good job! Now you too can say your tuner works with all USB2Serial adapters.

I dont approve your boost guage, 102 kPa here on the table, shows as boost, not accurate. That new check box in options should be disabled when TPS is selected.

brentp
Site Admin

1 Atm

Post by brentp »

Right, 1 Atmosphere == 101.325 KPa. I'll tweak it in the next version.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere ... _(unit)</a>
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

4600cc

At sea level. What happens

Post by 4600cc »

At sea level. What happens if you a little higher or a little lower.

vwedis

Usb adapter

Post by vwedis »

I love megajolt, I think it is the cure for cancer.

Brent, What should I use for a cord to connect my computer with the megajolt (just ordered mine 5 min ago)
The one you have says it doesnt work well with WindowsXP
Or should I use something else.
I dont want an experimental cord to get in my way, just want to use what works
thanks
Dennis
I love megajolt, I think it is the cure for cancer.

4600cc

You gonna need this 25 feet

Post by 4600cc »

You gonna need this
<a target="_blank" href="http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... oo%3D1">25 feet DB9 M F cable</a>

And if you laptop dont have serial plug you gonna need this, get one that has cable between USB and RS 232 plug
<a target="_blank" href="http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... fgtp=">USB to RS 232</a>

<hr>
<b>USB to RS 232 Installation</b>

1. Insert CD into CD-ROM drive
2. Insert USB plug into a USB hole
3. When Found New Hardware wizard shows up, select NO, click next, click next, installation is done automatically
4. After step 3 is done, insert USB plug into all other hols and repeat step 2, 3, 4.
5. After you done with all USB holes on your laptop, restart your computer.

6. (optional) try to connect to Megajolt using a tuner, if it dont work, reboot again

<hr>

Look for the new <b>Megajolt Lite Jr Tuner</b> early next year!

kipford

Same problem

Post by kipford »

Brent
MJ is installed on my car and working. Tried new tuner was ok, even did mods to map. Other day started up engine with laptop connected on tuning screen. The map was all over the place totally corrupted. BUT rpm, advance and tps windows were working fine. Like 4600c the configuration table was showing nothing. Stopped engine tried to read map from MJ, had same error messages as 4600c. Also same as 4600c His tuner would not load or write to the MJ. Switched ignition off/on and rebooted laptop several times but it made no difference.

I thought problem was my laptop, as work had been messing with it. Waited a couple of days (due to xmas). Removed MJ from car and connected using same usb/serial adaptor to the PC indoors, using 12v dc computer power supply. Downloaded beta 4 and every thing was ok, reads from MJ, writes to flash etc. Reconnected to my laptop (which has your original version beta 2 loaded) everthing ok.

I am very confused.

Serial Adaptor is a Wasp one.

Regards

Dave

brentp
Site Admin

Hi Dave, Thanks for the

Post by brentp »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the report. I would recommend removing beta 2 and installing the 3.0.0 official released version (which is essentially the same as beta 4) on your laptop and continue using it this way. Let us know if you still have problems.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

4600cc

kipford, When you turn off

Post by 4600cc »

kipford,

When you turn off ignition Megajolt should reset, if it didnt then possibly power is not cut to it. To make sure, connect tuner to Megajolt while ignition is on, note the reading, MAP will probably be 100 and RPM bellow 500, then turn off ignition, it should disconnect, otherwise Megajolt is powered while ignition is off.