Total n00b

General discussion on Autosport Labs, the mission, website, content, etc.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

L8_AP3X

Total n00b

Post by L8_AP3X »

Last year i started autocrossing as a non-novice and start using Track Addict after a friend suggested it. I liked it and used it and Race Render to create some cool vids of my best runs. I didnt like the phones GPS, so i start looking at the Dual external GPS unit and was searching for a used one when a post on FB Marketplace popped up selling and a RC Mk2, so i bought them both. Once i realized i didnt need the Dual i sold it locally and started the (holy crap) long dive into the learning curve.

Well, i kinda put off really looking into the Mk2 settings and the first event was yesterday. I could NOT get the app to build a track as once i hit Start, Re-start was the only option, no Finish. Im guessing you need to build the track by walking instead of driving? If you need to walk the course, is there a suggested GPS antenna to use that isnt the one that comes with the unit since i have mine routed in the car. I saw a post from 2020 where the poster walked the course with the unit, tablet and GPS antenna, but dont wanna have to take it out of the car.

How robust is the GPS unit? Id like to install it permanently where where the sharkfin antenna is, but dont wanna risk killing it from the elements. Or would in the back window be better? Like in the 3rd brake light housing. Or upside down to glass? I do garage the car when not driving, but like i said its my daily and autocross is rain or shine around here.

My main reason for joining/posting is to ask: is there documentation somewhere, or can someone advise me on how to use the Mk2 as a basic (for now) OBDII adapter? I have a CAT5 hardwired into the cars OBDII wiring and the GPS antenna routed so i can pop it on the roof with the moonroof open. Id like to be able to use the Mk2 to feed into Track Addict app, but despite it seeing it for OBDII and GPS, Track Addict reports no connection to the car, just GPS. Am im misunderstanding this use?

Also, since im using this for autocross, is there a way to tell it WHEN to start logging vs as soon as its plugged in? I dont need it recording data as soon as the CAT5 is plugged in, especially when the car is turned off sitting in my garage (its my daily)

Am in way over my head for what i want to use it for? LOL :) Thanks for any assistance.

L8_AP3X

Re: Total n00b

Post by L8_AP3X »

Is this place really this dead?

L8_AP3X

Post by L8_AP3X »

So, is there a way to get any customer service or advice on using this?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, thanks for your patience; we have two other communities that receive more traffic,

* Discord server: https://discord.gg/JbKUyFw
* Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/1288770887817789/
...so all community posts are spread across 3 places.

RaceCapture is most optimized primarily for circuit / track day lapping / road racing - it is basically plug and play - when you arrive at the track, it automatically detects the track, and you automatically get predictive lap times and logging of data.

For autocross mode, you need to set the start and finish lines before racing; this requires additional work up front. Details below.

Building a track: It's easier to do it while you drive the course once (slowly) marking the start / sectors / finish points as you go. The finish option is only presented when you drive a minimum distance from the start point, so the two points are not confused. Try it in a big parking lot to get a feel for it.

You can also manually specify the start / finish points by turning off automatic track detection. How-to video here:

GPS antenna: The GPS antenna is waterproof; the best location is on the roof of the car for best view of the sky. Alternatives are under the front window, and the rear parcel shelf, realizing that any metal in the roof will shadow the satellites and result in less than ideal conditions - but still could give acceptable results.

Documentation: all documentation is at http://wiki.autosportlabs.com - you can see various how-to guides there. Note; you are calling your unit MK2 - that is only a generation designator and not the product name. Example, we have RaceCapture/Pro MK2 as well as RaceCapture/Track MK2. In any case, we have documentation for past and current versions of the system.

Regarding logging; it's not clear if you have a RaceCapture/Pro or RaceCapture/Track. RaceCapture/Pro has built-in SD card logging, which you can configure logging under Setup / Automatic Control. RaceCapture/Track only logs to the app; and that session logging automatically happens when you enter the dashboard.

We have a lot of how-to videos on our youtube channel that will give you an idea of what the system is capable of: https://www.youtube.com/user/AutosportLabs

Thanks, we hope this helps; let us know if we can help with anything else.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

L8_AP3X

Post by L8_AP3X »

RC Track Mk2. Ive found all the documentation, and it doesnt answer my questions.

It will not allow me to select an end to the autox course, Restart is the only option after hitting start to build the track.
It starts running as soon as its plugged in, i dont need it running a "session" when my car is sitting in the garage, or when im setting up at the track.
I wanted to use it to feed into Track Addict, but it wont feed OBDII data, and im not 100% sure its feeding the GPS data, despite being selected in Track Addict settings.

Main question, is this "too much" for what i want to use it for and should i just sell it?