Perhaps the ultimate DIY shift light!

Autosport Labs news and product announcement discussion.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Perhaps the ultimate DIY shift light!

Post by brentp »

I ran across a quantity of high-brightness LED cluster modules, removed from a digital electronic sign. They're pretty neat, IMHO!

They are dual color- they feature a cluster of red and green/yellow high brightness LEDs.

The cluster is designed to run off of 12V directly, and has 3 wires coming out: white is +12v, red is ground for the RED cluster, and green is the ground for the green/yellow cluster.

It almost seems as if it was designed for the MJLJ- you just wire the white lead to 12V and send the ground connections to the MJLJ shift light/user output.

Possible uses, depending how you configure the user outputs:

1. Make a 2 stage shift light- have one color driven by the shift light output, and use one of the user outputs configured as "RPM" for the other color.

2. for turbo applications: use one color for 'shift' and the other color for "overboost" or "peak boost" warning (that's what I'll be doing!)

The unit is about 1" (25mm) across, and has a center mounting bolt on the rear. They are in used condition and may be a bit dirty or scuffed up. They will be tested before being sent out.

See the attached pictures!

I'll be making these available for $5 USD in the online store store- for those of you in the UK/Europe who are interested, you might want to organize a group buy to save money on shipping.
Attachments
shift_light_end.jpg
shift_light_end.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
shift_light_profile.jpg
shift_light_profile.jpg (25.4 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
shift_light_green.jpg
shift_light_green.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
shift_light_red.jpg
shift_light_red.jpg (22.04 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
Last edited by brentp on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fikus01

Post by fikus01 »

jsut to confirm if u had no other use for the programmable outputs u could have 1 come on green at 3k rpm, another at 4k, then 5k and 6k then have them all turn red at 7k rpm for shift light!
DO SOMETHING SILLY, TURBO AN 1100CC METRO :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You can absolutely do that with separate LEDs. With this LED cluster you can turn on the cluster of yellow/green LEDs, the RED cluster, or both simultaneously.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

hammy

Post by hammy »

Hi,

I've made my shift light from an LED torch off Ebay - very cheap.

I took two leds out and replaced them with a single red and green LED. I then cut the back of the ciruit board about to bring out wires for the green ,white, and red LEDS. I now have a 3 stage shift light.

for good measure I also connected the Red lamp to the remaining programmble output, inverted and set to 500 rpm. When I then turn the ignition on the red LED glows and then goes out when the eniging fires -gives me a comfort factor that MJ is actually working!

I'll be posting to the "success stories bit soon"
Hammy
X/F Wessie owner and forum Groupie

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I don't know if I want one or not, but cool find, Brent!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

At this price, how can you refuse? :D You just need a place on the dash to mount it.

capri_v6

user outputs??

Post by capri_v6 »

are the user outputs a positive feed or neg?? or can they be changed?
ordered one anyway even if i dont use it :P

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The user outputs on the Megajolt switch ground- so yes, it will work perfectly with this shift light!

derbybrit1

Screw Size?

Post by derbybrit1 »

I've got a question about the back mounting. Is the screw required an American machine screw? What size?

Also, an earlier post said they were used, but the ones I received appear to be new-in-the-bag spares?