Call for Beta Testers - EDIS hard rev limit module

Discussion on the Hard Rev Limiter module, currently under beta testing. <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/Hard_rev_limiter_1.1.0">Project Information</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Call for Beta Testers - EDIS hard rev limit module

Post by brentp »

Yes, finally!

We have a design in hand for a hard rev limit module, designed to be triggered by the REV_LIMIT output of the MJLJ. I'm working on a full project page in the wiki, but in short, the basic approach solves these simple requirements:

1. Disable coil packs from firing upon command from MJLJ module
2. Prevent an early ignition event when rev limit is activated 'asynchronously' during coil dwell period.

The circuit is simple and rugged, using a power mosfet to 'current starve' the coil when rev-limit is activated. It does not abruptly cut power to the coil.

After I complete my testing here, I would like to send out some modules for further testing in the field.

If you're interested and able to help out, send me a private message indicating:

Engine type (specifically number of cylinders)
MJLJ Version you are running and how long
If you have an EDIS test bench setup (bonus points)

Of course, in exchange for your testing feedback you are welcome to keep the rev-limit module at no charge.

Thank you!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

An update-

we're delayed sending out the rev limit modules for testing. While performing testing on the first version I wasn't satisfied with the design and ended up reworking the input circuit. So I'm waiting for a updated board to come in- and barring any additional gaffes I'll be sending these out to you.

In the meantime, here's a picture of the 'V1.0.0' design, which will never see the light of day (or the recesses of any engine compartment. :) )

Thanks,
Attachments
hard_rev_lim_1.0.0.JPG
hard_rev_lim_1.0.0.JPG (114.82 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The second iteration of the hard rev limiter is complete, and it seems ready for testing in the field!

For those of you who bravely volunteered to beta test: thank you- you should have received an email confirming your testing availability.

I have one more slot available for testing. If you are interested and feel you can provide useful and detailed testing data, please send me a private message and I will get you on the list.

The first cut of the project information is available here on the wiki:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/Hard_rev_limiter_1.1.0

Beta testers, please use this forum for all testing related topics.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Big Vern

Post by Big Vern »

Hi Brent,
Are the components only available in surface mount style or are there suitable 'normal' alternatives? ( past experience of assembling surface mount was not good :evil:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Only surface mount. The assembly guide should show that it's possible and in fact easy to do- and having the correct, yet basic tools in hand will help ensure success.

However, we will have ready-assembled units available for those who don't want to assemble their own. But, since you've already had a learning experience you should have no problems the second time around! :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

New question:

I want to install the rev limit but there are no Chile electronic components as FDS6681Z P-Channel Mosfet, SMBT2907A PNP transistor, there are some electronic component replacement?

Sorry very bad english (powered by google translator) :lol:

There is another way to make a rev-limit?

thanks brent!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

Currently we are still testing the rev limiter- After the testing is finished, you will be able to purchase it as a kit or pre-assembled from the online store.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Brent Thanks, I have a problem, import into chile is very difficult by the high cost, the system is low-cost, the shipping and customs is very expensive for soudamerica.

I would like to have a second option for a REV-LIMIT :roll: