homebrew rev limiter bench tested today

Discussion on the Hard Rev Limiter module, currently under beta testing. <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/Hard_rev_limiter_1.1.0">Project Information</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Dimbit

homebrew rev limiter bench tested today

Post by Dimbit »

I just tested my rev limiter on the bench and it seems to work. Grounding the input causes the resistance in line with the coil supply to jump to 22 Ohms. 'On' resistance is about 0.1 Ohms. It's based on Brent's schematic, but uses 2 SUB75P05-08 mosfets in parallel (to spread the load over 4 stripboard tracks, hope that's enough) and a single power resistor and was thrown together in a lunch break today so doesn't look nearly as professional.
I cut the board to fit in the mjlj case and will wire it in internally tomorrow. Crappy camera phone photos attached, and full write up to follow when it's in the car (if that's not stepping on anyone's toes).
Attachments
14-02-08_1818.jpg
14-02-08_1818.jpg (93.66 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
14-02-08_1819.jpg
14-02-08_1819.jpg (103.76 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
14-02-08_1820.jpg
14-02-08_1820.jpg (85.68 KiB) Viewed 5421 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Looks interesting. Be sure to monitor the devices while running, especially since you don't have heat sinks on them.

Thanks for testing the design,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Dimbit

Post by Dimbit »

When finally buttoned up I intend to put a dab of heatsink compound on the transistors which will be touching the aluminium case (one of them might need a copper shim but I'll figure something out). I assume the resistor won't get hot because the limiter should have a very small duty cycle and shouldn't be triggered very often. I will be sure to test all this once installed though.
Thanks for designing!

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Recorded a video and upload it to http://tinypic.com to see the functioning of the rev-limit

britlude

Post by britlude »

.... maybe a hint to what we are looking for....????

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you'd like to see a video of the rev-limiting in action, our friend Chris generously put up some clips on YouTube. See his testing here: http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=1498
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Dimbit

Post by Dimbit »

This is now fully functioning. I just tested it by setting the limit to 2k and it was incredibly effective. It stopped the revs bang on 2k and fired again as soon as the rpm dropped back. Veyr impressed with the design, but I kind of wish I'd held out for Brent's model as mine ended up costing around £8 in parts!

Dimbit

Post by Dimbit »

I checked for overheating today. As soon as I got home I whipped the lid off and felt all the components and found the mosfets weren't even warm. In fact they were cooler than the case which is gently warmed by the temperate breeze drifting by my feet from the engine bay! The 150 Amp rating may have been overkill after all. Oh well, better to be safe...

I also learned today that hitting the limiter at 6k with wide open throttle results in BIG flames so I should probably put the shift lights somewhere more unmissable...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update. You have some extra insurance with doubling up the mosfets- The unit offered in the kit has a ridiculously-low on resistance- on the order or even better than a mechanical switch (and far more reliable!)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin »

Is it agreed that when wishing to enable a hard limiter, supply the coil with a 22 ohm feed at the set rpm