Potentially stoopid question

Discussion on the Hard Rev Limiter module, currently under beta testing. <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/Hard_rev_limiter_1.1.0">Project Information</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Midas

Potentially stoopid question

Post by Midas »

If I'd managed to damage a resistor (R11 for example :roll: ) on the limiter board whilst fitting it to the MJ, would that kill my coil power output?

Just asking like, 'cos that would be a really stupid thing to do...... :roll:

Rich
:wink:

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Looking at the circuit diagram i believe it would, yes. Have you damaged the actual resistor or the track/pad its soldered too???
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Midas

Post by Midas »

It's the actual resistor that's physically broken thankfully, I was trimming a protruding solder spike with a blade and it slipped.

It's quite a relief that the resistor would stop play, I've fitted an immobiliser system at the same time as finishing the loom for the MJ box. Instead of cutting out the fuel pump (mine's mechanical) it interrupts the coil power from the MJ.

I've got 100 resistors on their way, it was cheaper doing that than it was to buy a single one and pay the postage.

Rich

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Don't think maplin sells them any more which is a pain. How did you order them from?? I normally go for RS components for mine.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

R11 is very important- it supplies the ground reference to the MOSFET gate on the hard rev limiter board. Without it the MOSFET will be damaged- not good! :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Brent is it used for avalanche protection of the MOSFET??

Midas

Post by Midas »

brentp wrote:R11 is very important- it supplies the ground reference to the MOSFET gate on the hard rev limiter board. Without it the MOSFET will be damaged- not good! :)
Oh arse!

I'll fit the new resistor when it arrives and if it's still not playing I suppose I'll be doing more shopping with you Brent.

Rich

Ps. NitroPixie, these came off Ebay. I forgot all about RS.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Rich,

if you're impatient you can solder a regular leaded resistor to the lads, just for testing purposes.

Ryan,

The ground is to prevent the MOSFET gate from floating when Q1 isn't conducting.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Midas

Post by Midas »

I'm fairly confident that they will be here tomorrow, fitting the MJ is one of the last parts of a complete rebuild so there's still stuff to be doing while I wait. It would be nice to have it running though...

Rich

Midas

Post by Midas »

Oh well, that's what you get for being confident. The resistors arrived yesterday.

I couldn't get the engine to do anything other than fire occasionally on one cylinder, after going through the whole wiring loom I removed the hard rev limiter and hey presto! running Midas. :D That's the first time it's run on the MJLJ rather than just the EDIS side, everything seems to work fine, it's advancing through the map and I can switch the maps on the fly.

Looks like I blew the MOSFET, but I'll see how I go without the limiter for now, my days of revving into the red in every gear passed a few rebuilds ago.

Rich
Last edited by Midas on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

sorry to hear that, but glad you still have it running!

Send an email to [email protected] with your original order number and we'll see if we can sort you out.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Midas

Post by Midas »

Hi Brent,

Many thanks, I've sent you an email.

Cheers

Rich