Soft Rev Limit & Fuel Cut Off?

Discussion on the Hard Rev Limiter module, currently under beta testing. <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/Hard_rev_limiter_1.1.0">Project Information</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

FULMNTE

Soft Rev Limit & Fuel Cut Off?

Post by FULMNTE »

Hi,

I am in the process of installing a MJ & EDIS-8 in my Big Block Chevy.

I have a MSD RPM switch left over which I could use to cut off the electric fuel pump at the rev limit.

Anyone see any disadvantages using the regular MJ Soft Rev limit together (100 RPM before rev limit) with a fuel pump cutoff at the rev limit? Anyone done something smilar?

Or could I even use the inverted output feature of the MJ to deactivate a fuel pump relay at a certain RPM?
1971 Monte Carlo, 454 HO, Tremec 5 Spd, Weiand 177 Supercharger

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Assuming you're running a carb'd setup, disabling the fuel pump might be a bad option as the cut would not work instantaneously as fuel remains in the carbureator bowl for some time- likely long enough to power the engine through an over-rev condition.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

FULMNTE

Post by FULMNTE »

brentp wrote:Assuming you're running a carb'd setup, disabling the fuel pump might be a bad option as the cut would not work instantaneously as fuel remains in the carbureator bowl for some time- likely long enough to power the engine through an over-rev condition.
Thanks Brent,
I should have mentioned that this is for a Throttle Body Injection system, no carb...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Ah, got it.

Still, you'd have residual fuel pressure in the lines, which might power the engine into a danger zone.

is the fuel injection system capable of doing a fuel cut at the injector?

You could still do an ignition cut. The plus side is you might get some pretty exhaust flames :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

FULMNTE

Post by FULMNTE »

brentp wrote:Ah, got it.

Still, you'd have residual fuel pressure in the lines, which might power the engine into a danger zone.

is the fuel injection system capable of doing a fuel cut at the injector?

You could still do an ignition cut. The plus side is you might get some pretty exhaust flames :)
Thanks!

In that context, short of upgrading to the hard rev limiter, what would happen if one were to use the user output of the MJ to ground the + VR sensor signal to the EDIS at upper rev limit?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Interfering with the VR sensor signal is an interesting idea and might work to act as a rev limit. It might cause plug mis-firing when interrupted at any random time (e.g. interrupted when the coils were dwelling). Plus there might be a delay in re-acquiring the signal.

However, the user outputs of the Megajolt have a +12V pullup when in the "off" state, so it would interfere with the VR sensor signal regardless of the state.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Spockie-Tech

Post by Spockie-Tech »

Use a normally closed relay to turn off the +12v power to the injectors ?

They tend to be wired with a common positive, and the injector signals pull the negative side down, so just break into common the +12v to the injectors and turn that off when the hard-rev-limit is reached ?

FULMNTE

Post by FULMNTE »

Thanks for the replies....

Just bouncing around some ideas.

I think I will try to shut off the injectors at rev limit, seems to be the best way to go...

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Just thinking out loud here, but why not connect a relay to the coil output wire of the MJLJ (along with the coils, of course) and use this relay to run your fuel pump? You'd have fuel being pumped whenever the coils are powered up, but not when they are shut off (either normally or due to over-rev condition).
...Bob

FULMNTE

Post by FULMNTE »

bobclevenger wrote:Just thinking out loud here, but why not connect a relay to the coil output wire of the MJLJ (along with the coils, of course) and use this relay to run your fuel pump? You'd have fuel being pumped whenever the coils are powered up, but not when they are shut off (either normally or due to over-rev condition).
I did not know that there is a coil output on the MJLJ without the hard rev limiter installed... Is there?

FULMNTE

Post by FULMNTE »

bobclevenger wrote:Just thinking out loud here, but why not connect a relay to the coil output wire of the MJLJ (along with the coils, of course) and use this relay to run your fuel pump? You'd have fuel being pumped whenever the coils are powered up, but not when they are shut off (either normally or due to over-rev condition).
I did not know that there is a coil output on the MJLJ without the hard rev limiter installed... Is there?

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

FULMNTE wrote:
My error. I was thinking of the hard rev limiter.
...Bob