Hard limiter makes PIP disappear

Discussion on the Hard Rev Limiter module, currently under beta testing. <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/Hard_rev_limiter_1.1.0">Project Information</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

MXM

Hard limiter makes PIP disappear

Post by MXM »

I was testing my Megajolt/E with internally wired hard rev limiter v1.2 and I faced a really strage problem.

First of all, EDIS runs the car fine by itself at 10 deg static advance. With megajolt I got nothing, so I've put the distributor back on to troubleshoot.

EDIS and Megajolt powered separately: everything works. There's a clean +12V output on the Coil Power pin on MJ as well, although I'm not using it.

EDIS powered via rev limiter: PIP signal is a constant +12V!. Coil Power output is still mostly +12 V, but is zig-zagging like "-----_-----_-----_" with the lower level about 1-2 V below +12 V. The period matches a normal PIP signal. MJ doesn't get a sync and nothing works, obviously.

EDIS powered via rev limiter, but the coil pack is disconnected: Accidentally tried this configuration, and the PIP signal is back! Is this because EDIS now draws less current via the rev limiter and the voltage dip is not so bad?

EDIT: Ok, I think I've done the wiring wrong. Apparently I'm not supposed to power the entire EDIS via the Coil Power pin, but only the coil. Well crap, this means a pretty major wiring remake... That said, I still don't understand why I have these problems when I'm not activating the hard limit.

MXM

Post by MXM »

For the clarification, I remade the supply lines, Coil Out only powers the coils, and both MJ and EDIS are powered directly by the ignition switch. Same result unfortunately, the PIP is flatlined at +12V unless I bypass the rev limiter :(