Voltage Drop under cranking on Coil wire

Discussion on the Hard Rev Limiter module, currently under beta testing. <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/Hard_rev_limiter_1.1.0">Project Information</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

tightwad

Voltage Drop under cranking on Coil wire

Post by tightwad »

I just installed my MegaJolt with the Hard Rev Limiter board connected. I get a very weak spark. Checking the voltage shows just 8.4V under cranking, with a confirmed 10.7 at the 12V in under cranking. If I power the coil directly the engine fires. I traced the voltage drop all the way to the Rev Limiter Coil pin, so it isn't a wiring issue along the way.

Another issue I am seeing is a Key-On 9V PIP signal, instead of the expected 12V. I doubt the issues are related but wanted to put all the oddities out there that I could.

Can I use a relay to trigger the coil using the 8.4V signal (not optimal but getting desperate at this point)?

Any ideas? I really need the rev limiter...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

Base-line: Did you get the Hard rev limiter with the board installed by us, or did you connect / install it yourself? If the latter, could you post pictures of how you have it wired?

You are correct, the PIP voltage you are seeing is likely un-releated.

Thank you,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

I am a moron. I went to take a picture and discovered I had the ground and trigger lines swapped, not sure how I did that or how I missed it. Oddly enough now I get bizzare voltage readings under cranking but the motor fires. One step closer!

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

tightwad wrote:I am a moron. I went to take a picture and discovered I had the ground and trigger lines swapped, not sure how I did that or how I missed it. Oddly enough now I get bizzare voltage readings under cranking but the motor fires. One step closer!
I spoke too soon. Once again I am seeing around 8.4 volts under cranking. I had to bypass the Rev Limiter in order to proceed with testing. I did notice that the RPM reading I get when the motor is not running isn't zero, instead its a very large number that naturally exceeds my set Rev limit, which might be the problem?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Unfortunately, having the GND and trigger lines swapped on the module and trying to run the engine might have caused damage to the MOSFET transistor on the rev limiter board.

You may return the rev limiter board to us for evaluation. contact [email protected] to follow up.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

Thanks for the heads up! Can I test the transistor? I can replace it if that is all the problem is, and it would save me time for sure...my Rally is in 2 weeks so I am running short...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

So you are, in effect, testing the transistor by what you are measuring on the circuit. When the megajolt unit is powered on and the rev limiter board is wired correctly, you should measure very close to battery voltage on the COIL output pin of the rev limiter.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

Can you provide a part number for a replacement? I can see about sourcing one locally and swapping it, unless you don't feel this is doable on the bench.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sure thing! It's a fairchild semiconductor 512-FDS6681Z . Not sure if you'll find it locally, but you should be able to find it on Digikey or Mouser.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

brentp wrote:Sure thing! It's a fairchild semiconductor 512-FDS6681Z . Not sure if you'll find it locally, but you should be able to find it on Digikey or Mouser.
The 512- prefix is actually Mouser's manufacturer code. You can find the part at lots of places - I use Findchips.com daily as the Google of electronic components.
http://www.findchips.com/search/FDS6681Z
Mouser / Digikey / Newark / Allied / Online Components will all sell to anyone with a credit card. Some of the distributors only want to talk purchase orders to large companies.
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

I ordered 2 of them (because somehow ordering just one didn't make sense...) Shipping was 4x as much as 1 part. Hopefully this is the problem and I will be well on my way to actually tuning AND using the Hard Rev. It is needed because when the watercraft jumps out of the water the overrev can destroy the motor...and they stopped making them 25 years ago or so.