Cam Sensor input

What would you like to see? Post your suggestions here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

plechtan

Cam Sensor input

Post by plechtan »

Perhaps this suggestion is a little selfish, We do alot of works with Jeep, the have a crank trigger with notches every 20 deg, but then 2 notches are missing. so on the 6 cylinder engine, the trigger is 18-6. the first notch is 60 deg BTDC , then 3 additional notches follow, then a space equal 2 two notches, then the pattern repeats.

So you end up with 12 pulses, but no reference to no 1 cylinder. The Jeep has a Cam sensor that is in the distributor, it is on for 180 cam degrees and off for 180 cam degrees.

If you ignition system could take a cam zero signal and a trigger wheel with some number of pulses, it would reduce the installed cost on may applications by being able to use the stock trigger wheels and cam sensors.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds fastest Comanche Project

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We have been looking at dual VR sensor input, but mostly to support true Coil-on-plug operation with a crank fired ignition system. We haven't considered your application- thank you for the feedback. The take-away is that to ensure the system and firmware design is flexible enough to support applications such as yours.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

plechtan

Cam sensor input

Post by plechtan »

Be great to have a COP setup available. I have used the Haltech units, they have about 10 Different trigger patterns in the software. (not the jeep setup though). The haltech units use the CPU to do the current control on the coils, and the same output could drive an injector. They use PWM to limit the current in a low impedience Injector.

I understand the issues with building in 8, 10 or 12 coil drivers into a standard unit. It would raise the cost signifigatly. If the new unit is inexpensive enough, perhaps you could just use 2 or 3 of them for 6,8, or 12 cylinder applications. I guess the boxes would have to talk to each other.

But from a cost standpoint, it may be compeditive. Some of the aftermarker ECU's do not have internal coil drivers and you generally use somthing like the Bosch coil drivers, but they go for $150-$200 and they do not do anything but drive a coil. For example the Bosch 0 227 100 211 which will drive 4 coils sells for $167.00 at Rock auto. You still have to hunt around to find a plug and a heatsink. Maybe have the COP unit drive a seperate Coil driver box.

I have used the LS style coils , which i guess are not really COP. more like COIL Per Plug, or Coil Near plug. They do work great and they are reasonably cheap. Issues do come up with mounting and wiring. The current EDIS coils ate easy to mount and wire.
Peter Lechtanski

plechtan

Cam Sensor

Post by plechtan »

Maybe a easy way to support the COP stuff would be to mount the trigger wheel on the cam. I guess you could do this right now and used a EDIS8 to support a 4 cylinder engine. By cam mounting the wheel, it would also turn at half the speed so you could support higher RPMs.
Peter Lechtanski