Vane controller for turbo

What would you like to see? Post your suggestions here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

plechtan

Vane controller for turbo

Post by plechtan »

Most of the late model turbos used on diesel trucks have some sort of variable vane control. these turbos are available really cheap on places like Ebay. The problem is controlling the vanes. it requires a PWM signal to a solinoid.
The inputs to control it are generally throttle position, map sensor and engine RPM. I guess I am making assumptions here, but it seems that you could use the existing Megajolt hardware and modify the software to just caange the PWM signal based on inputs from the engine sensors. You would probably have to add a power transistor, or maybe a small PWM controller chip. I think it is a good fit and if the exisitting Megajolt hardware could be used it would be a real plus.

One thing that is different than timing control, you would program in desired boost, the the signal to the solinoid would have to change based on the desired boost and the actual boost, The vanes actually act as a waste gate to keep the boost from going too high. So the output to the PWM is not strictly based on rpm and manifold pressure.

Thanks
Peter lechtanski
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds fastest Comanche Project