Parts availability in the UK

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

ginettaman

Parts availability in the UK

Post by ginettaman »

I am going to order the board and chip, but looking at digikey for the parts they seem very expensive to ship to the uk., are they all readily available in the UK? i.e the MAP sensor.

Also has anyone fitted it to a pinto engine?

Alan.

Josh_b

parts in the UK

Post by Josh_b »

you can get the bits in the uk, but to be honest the price is similar to getting them from digikey. why not just buy an assembled unit off Brent!

i am experimenting with a UK version with locally sourced parts and different size board to fit cases available in the uk, and a few other tweeks

flashrs1988

components

Post by flashrs1988 »

Hi Alan, most of the components are available in the UK form people like RS components, farnell, cpc, maplin.
But know one in the Uk seems to sell the pressure sensor!
I didn't think that the Digikey prices were to bad but the cost of getting them to the UK is a bit steep!!!!!

Cheers

Steve.
Escot Rs turbo, hybrid, Quaiffe dif, 5th injector,21 psi, Megaiolt Lite, wide band lambda

ginettaman

Josh b. your board design, i

Post by ginettaman »

Josh b.
your board design, is this something we are going to see in the near future, or is it a way of yet?
I've built things in the past were parts are only easily available in the US and its a pain sometimes to get hold of.

Alan

Josh_b

parts

Post by Josh_b »

A while back Brent asked me which parts were hard to get here in the UK, so he may be working on a more 'universal' model? also if you do the sums $155 for an assembled, cased unit delivered to your door is bloody good going.
as flashrs1988 says the sticking point is the map sensor. Also the board size wont fit cases easily obtained in the UK, and even stuff like molex connectors cant be got from maplins i dont think.
my 'uk' version is still very much in the pipeline, and depends on Brent's plans, if he does a redisign then i am not going to. :-)

NickW

UK Source for MegaJolt Modules

Post by NickW »

Hello,

There is a very good and reliable UK source for either Megajolt components or completed boards or units, so you don't have to have the hassle of getting stuff from the States.

If you intend to use TPS then they can mod the board for this aswell. (TPS works fine, I'm using it already)

You can contact Guy at: [email protected]

Guy will be able to give you more info on what he can offer and prices etc.

Regards,

Nick.

Josh_b

so

Post by Josh_b »

how much does he knock them out for?

brentp
Site Admin

If it helps, I can provide ke

Post by brentp »

If it helps, I can provide key components that are hard to find outside of the USA. So- that would be MAP sensor, Molex connector.. and?

What would be the interest for complete kit with all parts- including case? I would have to work out the details for something like this.

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

aidanc

Parts in the UK

Post by aidanc »

I live in Ireland, and ordered all the components (apart from the voltage regulator and the 9 pin connector) from Digikey, and the total cost including the &#8364;10 surcharge for a small order was &#8364;103 - about GBP65, including UPS delivery.

RS, Farnell and CPC are also good places to try. I have not yet looked for a case - I'm waiting on the PCB before I start that search, but I'm sure something is available.

My biggest problem is getting the EDIS4 module and associated bits here in Dublin.

If Brent has the time, and maybe with some help from the UK/Ireland based forum members, we can come up with a Maplins or RS parts list.

My &#8364;0.02...

Aidan

chriscook

I've been looking into this a

Post by chriscook »

I've been looking into this as i just got my board and processor. I think i've identified most of the parts unfortunately neither RS or Maplin stock all of the parts and things like the molex connector can only be ordered in multiples of 5. When I've worked it out a bit more I'll post something up for checking. Not checked Farnell or CPC.

I'm not bothered about the box problem as I'm probably going to go a slightly different way with the connectors to use a TPS. I may go for something a bit more suitable for underbonnet use connector wise.

beanbooger

EDIS part source

Post by beanbooger »

Aidan, I sell EDIS parts, including the EDIS 4 module, coil, toothed wheel, VR sensor, and more. See my website below. I gladly ship internationally. Have a look and send me an e-mail.

Brian

http://home.earthlink.net/~beanbooger/b ... gineering/

bill shurvinton

Hi, I'm working with Guy o

Post by bill shurvinton »

Hi,

I'm working with Guy on providing kits in the UK. Somewhat of a backlog at the moment, but ordering PCBs 20 at a time from Brent. You can get everything from Maplin if you do a bit of digging to Xref things. The Price list we are working to at the moment is

MJlJr kit of parts £35 (less case & MAP sensor)
Optional MAP sensor +£20 (otherwise sold with TPS mod.)
Assembled & tested +£10
Fitted into case +£5 for aluminium chassis box or +£15 extruded aluminium case
Wiring loom +£10 (made to customer's spec)
36-1 steel wheel from £25

I am also talking to Brent to work out the best way to solve the case fitting issue, be it oversized boards or me shipping a hundred cases over from the USA.

Initially I have been concentrating on a complete kit for cars with Xflows and DCOEs, but we are also trying to work out how to fit to VX, Pinto, YB and a few others.

Oh I also have a goodly stash of EDIS8 I scored when on holiday this year.

Bill

danncus

uk bits supply

Post by danncus »

I have ordered board & procesor from brent today.
I have a few questions.....
roughly how long for delivery? - i cant wait to throw away the clockwork lucas stuff!
does anyone have a "shopping list" with UK suppliers codes - Maplin RS FARNELL et al ? also sutable MAP sensor bits and cases.

any help and feedback would be a great help!

i'm fitting this to a sprint & hillclimb MG midget a-series. Any relevant comments on crank sensor etc. would be good!

Thanks

danny

edowner

MAP Sensor

Post by edowner »

Danny,

I bought a MAP sensor off DigiKey but have since removed it from the MJLJ and modified the board for TPS.

I'd be happy to sell it to you for say half price - it has been soldered onto the board and then desoldered, but not actually used in anger? I have the bulkead connectors as well if you're interested?

As far as the boxes are concerned I know people over here in the UK struggle to find one where the board slides in as per the recommended one (which is actually very neat!).

As for the trigger wheel and sensor I went to the scrappy and the Ford Sierra seemed to be the easiest to get them off as it's exposed (still tricky though!) The trigger wheel is pressed onto the back of the crank wheel, so remove the whole crank wheel and then use the correct pulling tool to get the trigger wheel off (mind not to damage it - plenty of wd40/heat helps!) The sensor that goes with it is easy enough to get off!

Hope this helps!

Oh, and by the way whilst you're at the scrappy get the wiring loom and/or connectors - really helps!

Ed

danncus

MAP

Post by danncus »

what is a TPS??