crimping junior mini-fit pins

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

alexander

crimping junior mini-fit pins

Post by alexander »

hi all.
i was wondering what other people have used to crimp the pins for the junior mini-fit connector?
i soldered mine, which i would NOT recommend, but you know there are many different crimpers out there in the world, and if you dont get the right one for the terminals in your hand, poor crimped connections can result.

so, what have other people used to crimp these things, and how effective was it?

alexander.

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

I have a ratchet crimp tool, similar to the one in the picture below. Effective, and really does give a good connection.

It has 3 spaces for different-sized connectors. The Molex pins fit in the smallest one - make sure that you crimp the right bits - 1 holds the cable sheath, 1 holds the wire itself, and leave alone anything else that's sticking out (that's used to locate the pin in the casing).

David

luke6040

Post by luke6040 »

where would i find that tool, iv got the norm rachet 1 but i dont think it would work with those conecters?

alexander

Post by alexander »

i second that question! david, can you give some details as to its brand, model no. etc?
i have found 1 source for a suitable crimping took here in oz, and i am not impressed from its photo.
your tool, however, looks like the goods.

alexander.

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

That picture was lifted from the web pages of Vehicle Wiring Products, but mine came from another source that's now gone ebay and they're almost impossible to find nowadays. VWP are a top-notch company that I can strongly recommend. They also have other types, from cheapies up to expensive ones.

That crimp tool is for non-insulated terminals only.

I have a book about auto wiring which recommends a different tool - similar to the PR3 model on VWP's crimping tool page - it looks a lot like the one in my picture but it doesn't have a ratchet. Apparently it gives all the power you need with a good feel for what you're doing. The downside is that a couple of years ago they cost about £75 ($100, A$150 approx. if my conversions are correct). The one I've got is fine though, and far better than the cheap-and-nasty ones.

I've attached a picture of my ratchet crimp tool - now well used!

HTH,
David
Attachments
00001.jpg
00001.jpg (42.72 KiB) Viewed 22346 times

mr_bridger

Post by mr_bridger »

just wondering, whats wrong with soldering?

i soldered some of the pins at the EDIS plug (as they arent available new) and also the VR plug. seem fine sofar

Ross.

Oliver Sedlacek

Post by Oliver Sedlacek »

There are at least two problems with soldering. Firstly, unless you have an industrial strength solvent, you will leave flux on the joint. Most types of flux will corrode the connector pins over time.

Secondly the solder stops the strands of wire from flexing freely. In a high vibration environment this can lead to fracturing of the wire.

Neither problem is usually an immediate problem, but can cause the system to fail after some time. Needless to say, aircraft looms are crimped, never soldered.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I have the blue crimper, but I only have the jaws for RG-6 and F-connectors(CATV). I have seen jaws for Telephone, but never Molex. Anybody know of a source?

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

If you're in Australia Jaycar can supply several versions to suit most needs.

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

for Molex terminals, you ideally need the correct Molex crimp tool... not cheap at upto £200+ (not joking, just bought a small one for a job at work). I'm quite lucky working in the electronics industry that I had access to the correct tools. Other cheaper tools may well do the job well enough, but you just can't beat the job the proper tools do.

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

i use this for crimping delphi weatherproof connectors as well as the Molex Terminals for the MJ. effortless.

Waldom / Molex Crimp Tool - For .062 Pins - Open Barrel
(picked mine up from Fry's for $12)

this is great for extracting them if you goofed:
GC Waldom Extractor Tool, Pin, .062 Diameter

this one for the delphi weatherproof connectors:
Weather Pack Terminal or Pin Removal Tool (got mine from ebay for under $6)
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

rangeyrover

Post by rangeyrover »