Damage to U1 & IC1?

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Sam Milne

Damage to U1 & IC1?

Post by Sam Milne »

I have just finished assembling my Megajolt kit and am very impressed with the kit and the instructions, thank you!

Despite triple checking I managed to put U1 and IC1 in the wrong slots, i.e. had then swapped over. They were the correct orientation, which means that U1 received +supply on pin 9 and ground on pin 8, likewise IC1 received +5v on pin 1 and ground on pin 16.

Now I have swapped them back over and it now talks to my PC and the MAP sensor moves the load gauge when sucked on. It also reads and writes to the Megajolt unit OK. The thing that is confusing me is that when you suck on the MAP sensor and change the effective loading the ignition advance does not change. Should this be the case?

Could my error in building it have caused any damage?

I dont have the EDIS module yet and so this is not connected, will this effect it?

Many thanks for your support!

Sam

Sam Milne

Post by Sam Milne »

I have been a bit stupid and forgotten the fact that the cranking advance would be cutting in with no RPM input... so that looks OK.

It would still be good to know peoples views on any potential damage and if U1 and IC1 are fairly tough or if I have just been lucky..

Whilst I am here, is there any way of changing the 500 RPM cranking threshold?

Cheers!

Sam

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You should be OK even though you accidentally swapped chips. If the system behaves correctly then you should be just fine.

Sorry- the ~500 RPM limit is intrinsic to the design and cannot be changed.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter