Going back to MAP

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

david jenkins

Going back to MAP

Post by david jenkins »

Hi!

First of all - I can say with some pride that I've now been running my Megajolt for almost 10 years on this car! It's been so reliable that I haven't had to give it much thought over the years. :)

My MJLT v3 is on firmware 3.2.1 - originally I ran it with a Weber DGV down-draft carb, and built it for MAP. Later on I converted it to TPS by adding the extra components and cutting R4 (270R) to isolate the MAP sensor.

Now I want to go back to MAP, having decided to ditch the bike carbs and go back to a single Weber DGV. Can I just replace R4 to use the MAP sensor? The TPS wiring will be disconnected, of course. I've looked at the schematic and I can't see that the TPS components will have any effect on the MAP signal - am I right?

Many thanks,
David

parky1972

Post by parky1972 »

Hi David.

Yes, as I understand it that is correct for both v3 and v4 controllers.

You may need to reflash the chip.. I'm not sure about that..
Try it,if it doesn't work. Try the reflash.

Jason.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You should just be able to wire in the map sensor since it's connected to the same processor line. Recommend re-flashing the V3 firmware as well!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

Many thanks!

I'm currently trying to refresh my memory regarding the way MJLT is configured... :shock:
It's been working so well I've forgotten how to set it up!

I've changed from TPS to MAP in the configurator, checked the 'normally aspirated' box, and saved it back to the unit. However, it still looks like it's working in 2D instead of 3D - the 'currently active cell' is staying in the top row, rather than going up and down the grid.

I'll keep playing though - while trying to run the engine with a new carb and struggling to keep it running, I heard a nasty ticking noise that sounded like a bad tappet adjustment, or an arcing HT lead - in the end it turned out to be a blown exhaust gasket puffing gas out every other revolution! I'll carry on with MJLT once I've replaced the gasket and put it all back together again. :)

Are there any example maps around for a MAP setup? Not for use, just for reference. IGNORE: I found one... :)

Cheers,
David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi David,

I would definitely flash the stock firmware back on - this will restore the load calibration to match the MPX4250AP map sensor.

Glad you're making progress!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

I flashed the latest firmware, and the MAP response is now working again. :D

All I have to do now is to get the carb tuned properly...

Many thanks for the help,
David