Cannot talk to the controller

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

trogdor

Cannot talk to the controller

Post by trogdor »

Hi i have got my controller up and ready to test, i have checked all the voltages etc and everything seems fine. I have it hooked up to a 12 volt supply, it is ok just to have one of the 12v and ground connected? however my main prob is when i run the megajolt program, it comes up with the error message as follows:

Read buffer length not correct: was 1; expected 128

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Read buffer length not correct: was 1; expected 128
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.IgnitionConfigReader.createConfig(IgnitionConfigReader.java:80)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.IgnitionConfigReader.readIgnitionConfig(IgnitionConfigReader.java:60)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.IgnitionController.getIgnitionConfig(IgnitionController.java:108)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.presentation.MegaJoltLiteJr.readConfiguration(MegaJoltLiteJr.java:718)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.presentation.MegaJoltLiteJr.reloadConfiguration(MegaJoltLiteJr.java:215)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.presentation.MegaJoltLiteJr.<init>(MegaJoltLiteJr.java:61)
at org.megaJoltLiteJr.presentation.MegaJoltLiteJr.main(MegaJoltLiteJr.java:631)

this doesn't make much sense to me so i am at a bit of a loss. is it something to do with the board or the software. my main suspiscion is the cable as i had to buy adapters for it and i don't know if it ok or not. is there anyway to test the cable? hope someone can point me in the right direction as i am really stuck!

many thanks

tom

MartinM

Sounds like a cable problem

Post by MartinM »

Sounds like a cable problem - well, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the cable!

Are you using a simple 9-way to 9-way D-type serial cable rather than a USB-to-serial adaptor at the PC end? If the latter, I've no experience of them, but if the former then there are only 3 pins of interest - 2, 3 and 5. The cable (probably 9 pin female to 9 pin male) needs 'straight-through' connections ie pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to pin 3 and pin 5 to pin 5.

But be aware that the pin positions depend on whether you're looking into the male or female connector on the cable.

When looking into a male connector on a cable the pins are

When looking into a female connector on a cable the pins are

(dots used to get the spacing right, the pins are denoted by the numbers themselves)

Hope this helps. If it does, post a reply. If it doesn't, post a reply as well!

trogdor

controller issues

Post by trogdor »

well that is a bit reasuring at least! my cable is a bit complex as i have a male connector on the controller and it was not until i got ready to test it that the computer has a male one too! looking around for adapters meant that it its a female D9 cable going to a female D25 connector with an adapter that is a male D25 and a female D9, this may causing the problem, is that likely? will have to test the cable!

MartinM

It would be easier if you

Post by MartinM »

It would be easier if you had a female connector on the MJLJ and then you just need one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5807411369

But testing your cable with an ohmmeter/battery and bulb will prove it one way or the other. Good luck!

v8-powered

I had the same problem when

Post by v8-powered »

I had the same problem when trying to use DB25 to DB9 adapters. Went and bought a new DB9 lead and a DB9 adapter and Hey Presto, it worked...

trogdor

Male or female connectors

Post by trogdor »

Hi i have my megajolt all built but i cannot get the computer to recognise its there! i have got a gender changer and a known to work serial cable. However i have noticed that the male and female connector pin arrangements are different. i have a male connector installed on the board, is this right or wrong? does it even have an effect? Really want to get this working!

tom

MartinM

..it is certainly much much

Post by MartinM »

..it is certainly much much easier to have the correct (i.e. female) connector on the MJLJ board. Otherwise standard cables won't fit (you need the gender changer you've got) and pin numbers get very confusing.

If you look closely into the end of most (if not all) DB9 connectors, you can see the pin numbers marked on the plastic surrounding the male pins or the female holes.

The safest point of reference is the male DB9 connector on the computer. This will normally have pin 2 second from the left on the top row as you look into the computer. Pin 3 is on the right of pin 2 as you look into the computer and pin 5 is on the extreme right on the top row.

The challenge is to get:
- pin 2 on the computer to pin 14 on the MAX232 chip
- pin 3 on the computer to pin 13 on the MAX232 chip
- pin 5 on the computer to pin 15 (ground) on the MAX232 chip

You can achieve that with whatever combination of straight through cables, gender changers, cross over cables you want. A simple continuity checker (with all power off) will be able to tell you when you have achieved that.

If it still doesn't work, then something else is wrong!

Hope this helps, Martin