UK parts source

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

zoomzoom

UK parts source

Post by zoomzoom »

Hi all

just starting to order my megajolt, but am short of some parts which are not available on digikey.
Parts --C13 C14 and L1, are there any uk sources of these and are any alternatives available ?
there are--- C13 CAP .22uf 50v 20% cer axial
C14 CAPACITOR TANT 4.7uf 25v 10% rad
L1 CHOKE RF VARNISHED 1uh 20%

many thanks

MartinM

These are all fairly general

Post by MartinM »

These are all fairly general purpose components. Try www.rapidonline.com for all your components except the PCB, processor, Molex and case, especially:
10-4102 for C13
11-0662 for C14
26-1320 for L1

...or even try Maplins in you nearest High Street, maybe?

Martin

zoomzoom

thanks for that i'll give

Post by zoomzoom »

thanks for that i'll give rapidonline a go
marcus

bhwm

UK Parts Source

Post by bhwm »

I got my parts from <A href="http://uk.farnell.com">Farnell</a>. I have posted the list of parts I ordered <a href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/b.heggs/mj ... f">here</a> (pdf), if it is of use to anyone. Note that I have not yet assembled the unit, and have made some substitutions for parts not stocked by Farnell. Don't blame me if any of the parts are wrong or don't fit the board. I will probably be able to confirm if they are correct in a couple of weeks when I assemble the unit.

[EDIT]
I've just noticed a mistake - I ordered 0.022uF instead of 0.22uF. Let me know if you spot any others. Should also have said that I am building the TPS version.
[/EDIT]

Other things to be aware of:

- Farnell have minimum order of £20 for customers without a trade account, but do provide free shipping. Some part numbers will be replaced by the RoHS compliant (lead free) versions in the near future. Quantities have been increased to make up the minimum order value or for Farnell's MOQ, so you may want to change them.

- PCB and Processor are not included - I ordered them from Brent.

- Crimp contacts for the molex connector were obtained from <a href="http://www.maplin.co.uk">Maplin</a>, order code L70AZ - ATX Power Conn Female. This is the wrong connector, but includes 20 of the correct crimp contacts for £1.38, Farnell only sell them in bags of 100 for more than £15!

DannyP

On Digi-key, 399-4466-1-nd

Post by DannyP »

On Digi-key, 399-4466-1-nd for c-13, 399-1341-nd for c14, and m8610-nd for L1. The choke is kind of large physically, but since the value is the same, it should work. It does fit on the board no problem. I just received all my parts yesterday from Digi-key.
Vintage 550 Spyder replica VW type1 2165cc 9.8:1 Dual Weber 44 IDF RABY motor MJLJ V3/TPS

zoomzoom

Ordered from rapid and they

Post by zoomzoom »

Ordered from rapid and they arrived next day!!, and with a free torch(happy days!!)
thanks for all your help

bhwm

UK Parts Source

Post by bhwm »

I've now built my MJLJ and tested as far as communication with a laptop. All the parts fit the board OK. An updated list of Farnell part numbers is <a href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/b.heggs/mj ... f">here</A>, with the correct value for C13.

LandyPete

MAP Sensor...?

Post by LandyPete »

Looks like thats a reasonable option compared to using Digikey.

Quick question for UK builders... Where is the best place to get the MAP Sensor...?

And one for Brett - any reason the MAP sensor couldn't be replaced with something like the MPX4115, which has a similar curve but at lower pressures. Just looking at dispatch dates and certain suppliers are saying 2007 for the standard MAP sensor...!

Is the Megajolt code configurable to take this as the MS code is..?

Cheers

Peter

If it first you don't succeed... Use a bigger hammer...!
If it first you don't succeed... Use a bigger hammer...!

MartinM

Where to get a MAP sensor in

Post by MartinM »

Where to get a MAP sensor in the UK == where to get a MAP sensor in the world !

..and at the moment, it seems incredibly difficult, if not impossible :(

MPX4115AP looks like it would fit (physically) and be OK if you have a N/A engine, but wouldn't work on a Turbo engine. Unfortunately I can't see anyone with it in stock either (Digikey, Farnell etc). Or do you know someone with them in stock?

MJLJ has an internal calibration table for the MAP sensor - so it can be changed, but it's a firmware change. So you'd have to ask Brent nicely! The alternative would be to not change the firmware table and humanly interpret the values in the MAP bins e.g when it says 220 (KPa) in the bin, remember that with a MPX4115AP it's really 110 (KPa) - or whatever the value is

brentp
Site Admin

I'm going to do a write-up

Post by brentp »

I'm going to do a write-up on this shortly. yes, we have a world-wide shortage of MPX4250AP's (Grrrrr!) they used to be readily available from Freescale. Now, the availability is sporadic. I am running out of my last units, more will be available in December.

A firmware upgrade coming up will allow the calibration table to be externally programmable. This is needed for TPS calibration as well as using alternate MAP sensors.

yes, the MPX4115AP will drop in to the board with a re-calibration.

There are external map sensors available from GM that can be integrated into the TPS input, again, requires calibration.

A more extensive write up will appear this weekend.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Tman

UK Parts Source (bhwm, 06/19/2006)

Post by Tman »

Hi how did you find your biuld worked with the componants you have listed here, Im having a bit of trouble finding bits but can get most on your list through Farnell New Zealand. Thanks
Id like to get this working one day (soon) :) sigh
1977 toyota Celica fastback with 1997 Toyota 3sge (minus dizzy, plus mjlj) and a w57 box.

bhwm

Parts

Post by bhwm »

My MJLJ is still not installed in a car yet, but I have bench tested it and it all looks good. Have tested the communication with the PC and programmed in a few test maps. Also checked operation with the full EDIS system, and can see the advance change on an oscilloscope when moving around the map using the TPS.

Dave999

UK Parts

Post by Dave999 »

OK

I ordered evreything that Brent sells, from Brent :) it arrived super quick.
I orderd all transistors, ICs (apart from the processor, see above) the MAP sensor and the oscillator from DIGIKEY, this was quite expensive however this is the reason?? MAP sensor from RS or Farnell UK costs £17.95 however minimum order is £25 and minimum postage is £10. Unless you are a company that has an account you are not allowed to purchase at the trade counter of either RS or franell unless you bring proof of company trading status and VAT reg number. Total cost of MAP would have been £35. Total cost of all parts mentioned +postage from digikey $35!
at the current rate of 2 USD to the GBP that's 17 quid NICE!!!

Digikey will have problems with your UK credit/debit card and will send you an email that specifes calling or faxing them further proof on a free call number. you can't dial US free call numbers from the UK, use Ratebuster (google it) and the digikey phone number 001 218 681 6674.

Digikey will not release the goods unless you specify what they are to be used for. US companies are not allowed to sell electronic components to terrorists so when confronted with this form be truthful and nice!!! :)

I the ordered this lot from www.maplin.co.uk

QF55K BZV85C 12V x1 £0.12
D1K 2W Res 1K x1 £0.18
FG25C RA D-Range 9-Way Skt x1 £1.11
FZ49D 0.3in 16 pin socket x3 £2.07
M100R Min Res 100R x1 £0.13
M270R Min Res 270R x1 £0.13
M680R Min Res 680R x1 £0.13
QL76H 1N4004S x3 £0.36
RA49D Monores Cap 0.1uF x8 £0.94
VH31J PC Elect 33uF 63V x2 £0.22

comes to about a fiver

With resistors you need the resistance to be correct but wattage can be bigger than the min specified by Brent the % tolerance can be the same or less. less % just costs more

with diodes the voltage must be correct the wattage can be bigger.

With capacitors the type must be correct i.e electrolytic or not.... shape counts so don't by Axial for this project. capacitance should match, slight variance on voltage upwards does not matter. the capcitor just gets bigger. i.e you could use a 33uf 1000V cap but it would be bigger than the rest of the controler

Hope this helps, Can't promise any of this info will result in a working unit but to the best of my knowledge it should

David G
UK
VH Valiant charger 265 CID 6 cyl
David G
UK
VH Valiant charger 265 CID 6 cyl

capri_turbo

Farnell online UK

Post by capri_turbo »

you can get everything you need from them, except of course for the PCB, enclosure and programmed chip.

When I got mine around March 06, anyone could purchase from Farnell's website... minimum order was £20 and next day postage was free. They have the MAP sensors in stock now (2339857 at £11.626 each)... presumably +VAT

The crystal osciallator they stock isn't the same one as Brent specifies, but is a direct equivilant... (788480 at £2.84 each).

Payment was a little awkward as they only accept certain credit cards, and NOT DEBIT cards.

Hope this helps

steve_c

MAP sensor

Post by steve_c »

Hi,
I've just discovered this site after finding an article in a Landrover magazine. Should help with my 1971 Midget.

I'm just putting together the parts for building the Megajolt. I thought I could get the MPX4250 from Farnell 'til I discovered it's through their Newark subsidiary in the States. Is there a supplier in the UK for these? If I have to go to the U.S for it what are the overheads in respect of import fees VAT etc. In other words what is the real cost.

Thanks