UK parts source

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Hi steve,

Post by brentp »

Hi steve,

I also have available the MAP sensor- see the ordering page (link above). In fact, I'll be offering a full parts kit, probably by the end of this week. If you can wait until then I will have that on the order page as well.

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

MartinM

Try eBay (UK) A bit of

Post by MartinM »

Try eBay (UK)

A bit of intelligent searching might well uncover some for sale....

richardk

Updated Farnell List

Post by richardk »

This is for the TPS version.

<a href="http://www.kilmartin.it/uploads/megajol ... s">Updated Farnells Component List </a>

fragged8

us import

Post by fragged8 »

i just improted the MJ from teh US and got stung £23 for fees related to parcel force... Bas***rds

if you can persuade the company to mark the parcel either gift or sample you can usually get away with not paying anything extra but the americans are pretty paranoid at the moment , ( not without reason ). so check everything passing through its borders.

Bit of a waste of time ( ask the mexican border hoppers )but it makes them feel safer.

fragged

dorset_clive

Re: Where to get a MAP sensor in

Post by dorset_clive »

MartinM wrote:Where to get a MAP sensor in the UK == where to get a MAP sensor in the world !

..and at the moment, it seems incredibly difficult, if not impossible :(
I'm considering putting MS and MJ in my Rover rally car. I've got some "spare" MEMS (Rover OEM) ECU's, so I thought I'd take one apart to see if I could reuse the enclosure and the MEMS connector to connect to the Rover loom. On the MEMS board is a MAP sensor, I can't recall the type/part number, but it has three connections to PCB. I can have another look tomorrow and let you know what it says, but if it is a valid option, then there are plenty of MEMS ECUS in scrap yards from all the K-series cars with HGF :D

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

MAP sensors are now back in plentiful supply - sometimes it's far easier to just use the specc'ed one that fits nicely on the circuit board and has exactly the correct characteristics....

dorset_clive

Post by dorset_clive »

I thought I'd post the MEMS details just in case anyone is interested!

The MAP sensor is made by Mototola and has two part numbers on it: 5143770U01 and 1010BA.

It is a small plastic "box" about 3 x 4 cm and stands about 2 cm off the PCB.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That sounds interesting. Please attach a picture, if you can!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

KLAS

Post by KLAS »

the big box in the middle, couldn't find any data about it

dorset_clive

Post by dorset_clive »

That's the MEMS unit - a nice cast alu box that is designed to mount in the engine bay. Other that issues of componet specification, it was my aim to re-use one of these boxes for a full Mega Squirt/Mega Jolt (MSnS v3?) system.

KLAS

Post by KLAS »

yes its a nice box, but to fit it inside the engine bay you have to use components that will tollerate the temperatures there. automotive components allways have higher temp specs than normal ones, normally 105°C and more. if you use parts with less temperature tollerance that may give some trouble.

the componets are identified as over here we are trying to understand whats going on inside. maybe you know that sometimes MEMS doesn't turn off the main power and other strange stuff and we want to repair it ourself. so it was the only pic i had :wink:

dorset_clive

Post by dorset_clive »

I used to be an electronics engineer working on submarines and ships, so I know exactly the problems demanding environements can create :D

Putting it in the engine bay would have been a "nice to do" as the loom is all set up, so it would look "nice" (always an important consideration on a rally car that is being thrashed within an inch of its life :lol: ).

Regarding the MEMS unit, I do know that it is considered "un-up-gradeable" as it is entirely bespoke and embedded, so no reprogramming or piggy-back chips.

KLAS

Post by KLAS »

thats great, if you made it putting all parts insinde the MEMS box tell me. i like the idea to just replace MEMS with a box containint MS and MJLJ, i could reuse my glovebox :wink:

its a bit sad no one realy knows how the early MEMS works or even how to modify it. but it seams you have to replace the Intel processor with one that is reprogrammable. the later MEMS, 1.9 on, can be modified i know

dorset_clive

Post by dorset_clive »

KLAS wrote:The later MEMS, 1.9 on, can be modified i know
Oooohhh!! Got any details? I don't know if the v1.9 would work with the old single coil/distributor setup of the old MEMS, but I guess it wouldn't be any problem to swap to the wasted spark setup...

KLAS

Post by KLAS »

over here we have DGH http://www.dghklassikmotorsport.de/ offering 12 HP more for MPi Minis and Rüddel Motorsport http://www.rueddel-motorsport.de/ offering 7 HP more for the MPi, but also offer to mach the MEMS to the engine if its high modified. i have never looked inside a MEMS 1.9 but i've been told they replace a chip