Introduction to RaceCapture

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Introduction to RaceCapture

Post by brentp »

Here is an introduction to RaceCapture, our new Data Acquisition and Control system.

Autosport Labs RaceCapture is a powerful Data Acquisition and Control system for motorsport applications.

20 input and output channels, enough to handle complex logging and control tasks

* 7 dedicated analog input channels
- Measure sensors or process input from other devices.

* 3 dedicated frequency input channels
- Measure RPM, wheel speed, or any kind of periodic pulse. One channel is optically isolated for direct connection to ignition coil.

* 4 configurable analog,digital or frequency output channels
- Control other systems or even override OEM sensors

* 3 configurable digital channels, settable for input or output
- Receive input from switches; or configure as output and use to activate accessories or drive indicator lamps

* Input for precision 3 channel accelerometer module (+/- 2G per axis, 3G optional)
- Measure and log 3D G-Force in real-time with one of the industry's most accurate and precise accelerometers.

* GPS module input
- Add an external GPS module for course mapping

* Auxiliary serial expansion port
- Interface to future interactive dash/display

Logging

* SD Memory card slot for data acquisition
- Store up to 2GB of logging data

Power

* Powerful 48MHz 32 bit ARM processor
- Power to perform high resolution logging and running complex, user-defined logic

Mechanical

* Compact, rugged design with good looks
- Unit measures approximately 4 x 3 inches (100 x 82 mm)
* Easy to use screw terminal block for wiring
* On-board 'action' switch to start/stop logging (or other use)
* On-board Status LEDs

Last edited by brentp on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

That looks brilliant. How much is it goin to be? and will it ome in kit form??
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Alexander_Monday

Post by Alexander_Monday »

Ditto on the price?
Precision of analog inputs?
Analog input range?
Will the analog inputs be scalable against an external Vref?
Will the analog inputs be high impedance, or will they be pulled up, or selectable?
By the looks of it, the analog inputs will be single ended only and not differential?
Capture rate?
Any chance of a changeable configuration? I.E. if you wanted to use more analog inputs or more outputs and were willing to sacrifice some other inputs or outputs?
Along that same line, will it be capable of automatic polling using the output channels? I.E. say you wanted to use 2 outputs to go to an external multiplex board to increase the number of analog channels by 4 times and have RaceCapture select each of these 7 channel wide inputs by outputing 00, 01, 10, 11 sequentially and reading the analog inputs to create 28 inputs?
Will you provide an API?
There are 10 types of people.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello- thanks guys, and excellent questions. Here you go with some answers:

ADC Precision: 10 bits

Input Range: currently targeting 0-20V, but this is open, based on feedback. For example: 0-5v, 0-12V or 0-15V

Input Impedance: about 10K; sensors like thermistors will require an external pull-up (similar to the requirements for the Bosch Motronic CSport)

VRef: In the current design, RaceCapture sets the reference. VRef is 5v.

Inputs: All inputs are single ended (similar to Race Technology's DL1)

Capture Rate: Final capabilities TBD- but will be capable of well over 100Hz- Of course, this is affected by CPU load for other tasks, and the configured ADC settling time which affects accuracy. A very high rate will be possible if the system will be only focusing on ADC conversion.

Changeable Configuration: The Analog inputs are fixed. For your multiplex question, yes this will be possible.

A note on expansion: The Accelerometer Input port is an SPI interface. This can be re-purposed to expand the system in nearly any fashion: for example; a digital I/O expansion board; a board with precision differential analog inputs; multiple-channel thermocouple amplifier, and so on.

Price: We have an idea in mind, but I can't/won't say exactly yet as we're still figuring our costs. Realize we wouldn't be doing this if we couldn't offer it at a compelling price.

Kit: Yes. It will be about as difficult to assemble technically-wise as Megajolt V4, just many more components to solder. The CPU module will be included pre-made, as it contains many fine pitched parts.

API: Absolutely!! This will be more compelling than even the hardware (It's just easier to take pics of hardware. :) ) Almost all will be very pleased.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

"Almost all will be very pleased."

You mean everybody, except your competition! :lol:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Funny.. if we can eke out our existence ankle-biting the big guys that would be fine. or at least a good start. :wink:

ssrace

Post by ssrace »

All I can say is WOW :!: I have been searching for months to try and find a datalogging system to run on my turbo hayabusa drag bike and this is about as close as I could find to being able to meet my needs.

I have lodged my application to be a Beta tester but cant wait to see how this project pans out anyway. Good luck with it. I can see a real market for it with drag bikes. I will be checking back regularly.

Regards Matt
Attachments
P180109_13.05[01].JPG
P180109_13.05[01].JPG (126.07 KiB) Viewed 24750 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thank you for your interest! RaceCapture should be a good fit for your application. The unit is compact and lightweight, and with the tethered accelerometer module you will have full mounting orientation flexibility while still being able to mount the accelerometer square and level.

We will follow up with your email inquiry.

Best Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

Brent,

I see some relly intresting applications for this.. . . BTW it was great to speek with you the other day!!!
Respectfully

Dean

ssrace

Post by ssrace »

I could have done with the race capture on the weekend. I had the first rideout on the turbo Hayabusa, after 5 runs I have the air/fuel and rising rate on the fuel pressure dialled in pretty close but alot of it was guesswork. All I can log at the moment is boost, RPM and Air/Fuel.

The bike has a consistent engine cut fault which I think is ignition related but is too hard to pick up on my current logger as it only samples at 10 times per second and have the restricted channels. The air fuel does not show a lean spot on the cut but I am concerned it is not picking it up because of the sample rate. Got some work to find the issue :-(

What is the max sample rate of the RaceCapture going to be?

Video of run. http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll31 ... rborun.flv

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

We're targeting at least 100Hz for the channels that can support it (i.e. analog/digital inputs, accelerometer,etc). Higher rates may be possible if features are turned off/disabled.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

brentp wrote:Hello,

We're targeting at least 100Hz for the channels that can support it (i.e. analog/digital inputs, accelerometer,etc). Higher rates may be possible if features are turned off/disabled.

Regards,
What does this equate to in samples per second? And will there be and issue with the buffering of the data at the higher rates.
Respectfully

Dean

ssrace

Post by ssrace »

From Wikipedia:

The hertz (symbol: Hz) is a measure of frequency per unit of time, or the number of cycles per second.

100Hz would be 100 times per second.

My wideband commander runs at 10Hz :cry:

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Sampling a wideband quicker than 10Hz would be a waste of time due to the response rate of the sensor. Selecting a 10Hz sample rate seems entirely appropriate for that purpose.

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

Hummmm For my application I need 1,000-1,500 per second. 100 per second just wont cut it 300 was the absolute minumum and it was really not acceptable.

Hummmmmm Brent can you shed some light on this?
Respectfully

Dean