Bluetooth/Telemetry

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

jfeniello

Bluetooth/Telemetry

Post by jfeniello »

Hi,
I signed up for the Bluetooth module. I am now just trying to read and understand the telemetry info. A few questions. Can you hook up both since they use the same connector? The telemetry data is going somewhere in the cloud. Can the app on my smartphone receive the data via bluetooth and send the same data to the same cloud location? How realtime is the Telemetry?

I guess i have two requirements, 1. i need to see data (lap times) live in the car, and 2. it would be nice to have live data available to the pits/etc. Just curious on what combination of the options would satisfy this the best.

As i'm writing this, a question came to mind. The box is 'open'. Will the android app and the data structure be open source also?

btw, Thanks for a great idea and product!
-jim

SaabPower

Post by SaabPower »

I'd like to know the answer to this too. Having in-car lap timer on an Android tablet fed off the GPS data of the device would be perfect, all while beaming important information back to the pits over the telemetry connection! That is the key.

sbarton

Re: Bluetooth/Telemetry

Post by sbarton »

jfeniello wrote:Hi,
I signed up for the Bluetooth module. I am now just trying to read and understand the telemetry info. A few questions.
1) Can you hook up both since they use the same connector?
2) The telemetry data is going somewhere in the cloud. Can the app on my smartphone receive the data via bluetooth and send the same data to the same cloud location?
3)How realtime is the Telemetry?

I guess i have two requirements, 1. i need to see data (lap times) live in the car, and 2. it would be nice to have live data available to the pits/etc. Just curious on what combination of the options would satisfy this the best.

As i'm writing this, a question came to mind. The box is 'open'. Will the android app and the data structure be open source also?

btw, Thanks for a great idea and product!
-jim
1) From what I understand, yes you will be able to do both.
2) Not sure. Good idea.
3) Really depends on cell service. At NJMP where I get 4G Verizon for data on my computer and phone, and had good T-Mobile signal, it was near instantaneous. By the time I looked up from the computer or phone, the car was exactly where I thought it would be. At Shenendoah there was a lag of about 4 seconds when it worked, but both Verizon and T-Mobile barely get service there. In fact I couldn't get any data for the 2nd day and had no cell service. It also probably depends on how many inputs you are transmitting and at what Frequency. Since I use RCP+T for Telemetry only, I transmit most everything at 1Hz except for GPS, Accel, and Yaw info which I record at 5Hz. Found this to work well.
Duct Tape Motorsports
MyTrackSchedule.com - Your key to more track events!