Data Analysis Software - Motec, Gems, AEM

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

eangelov

Post by eangelov »

I've tried that as well but I always get an error message saying: "'171.67(random float number)' is not a valid floating point value". I've read in this thread already that another guy had the same problem but the proposed solutions didn't seem to work on me. I also attached a photo with the error message below.
Attachments
dlogg99error.jpg
dlogg99error.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 239854 times

JMcDonough

Post by JMcDonough »

Hmm, odd. Can you upload the file?
Josh

eangelov

Post by eangelov »

Of course, here's the file I used.
Attachments
369.zip
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 657 times

synfinatic

Post by synfinatic »

So I'm trying to create a math channel for time splits like the AEMdata help explains. However when I create the channel, AEMdata says "Math is not allowed on this file"

Anyone else experience this issue or know how to work around it?

JMcDonough

Post by JMcDonough »

eangelov wrote:I've tried that as well but I always get an error message saying: "'171.67(random float number)' is not a valid floating point value". I've read in this thread already that another guy had the same problem but the proposed solutions didn't seem to work on me. I also attached a photo with the error message below.
I opened the file in excel, re-saved as a .csv, then got the same error on the first time value that has an additional "." in the number (ex: 1.001.741). I cropped that file down to only include data at time values less than that and it worked. You'll need to remove the extra "." from the higher numbers (ex: 1001.741) for it to work.
Josh

synfinatic

Post by synfinatic »

Well I got at least one confirmation via PM that what I'm seeing is "normal" for AEMdata. It supports math channels- just not when you imported data via CSV/Dlog99.

Has anyone spent the ~$400 on GEMS Pro? It supports importing CSV data natively (no need to import into Dlog99).

JMcDonough

Post by JMcDonough »

synfinatic wrote:Well I got at least one confirmation via PM that what I'm seeing is "normal" for AEMdata. It supports math channels- just not when you imported data via CSV/Dlog99.

Has anyone spent the ~$400 on GEMS Pro? It supports importing CSV data natively (no need to import into Dlog99).
I ran into the same issue when trying math channels in AEMData/GEMS.

My work around has been to create the math channels in excel after converting with the perl script and before importing into Dlog99.
Josh

synfinatic

Post by synfinatic »

JMcDonough wrote:
I ran into the same issue when trying math channels in AEMData/GEMS.

My work around has been to create the math channels in excel after converting with the perl script and before importing into Dlog99.
Yeah, that's easy for certain things, harder for others... like calculating time slip between arbitrary laps which is what I'm most interested in.

TH

Speed multiplier?

Post by TH »

Hello All,

I am a brand new RCP user here, just received my kit late last week. I have spent a fair bit of time with AEMdata, so my first order of business was to generate a dataset with my RCP and get it into to AEMdata and see how everything worked. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this topic! The process was fairly easy to follow.

I am seeing an anomaly with my speed channel's values after conversion. I was wondering if anyone else was seeing the same, or could help me get it sorted. It appears that my speed channel is multiplied by a factor of ~2.5 after running the Perl script. I opened the .LOG file before conversion, and the speed is correct. I opened the .CSV file after conversion and my speed values are multiplied. I then created the .STF file and the multiplied speed carries through to there too. All other channels appear to convert correctly. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

I've attached a few screen grabs showing the speed trace as plotted from the .LOG, .CSV, and .STF files; respectively. I was actually going approximately 76mph, I assure you I was NOT going 191mph!

Cheers,
Tyler
Attachments
Speed Mult.JPG
Speed Mult.JPG (99.81 KiB) Viewed 239244 times

JMcDonough

RE: Speed multiplier?

Post by JMcDonough »

I think there might be a conversion between kph and mph going on twice (1mph = 1.609kph, 1.609^2 =2.589

Can you post the raw log file?
Josh

TH

Re: RE: Speed multiplier?

Post by TH »

JMcDonough wrote:I think there might be a conversion between kph and mph going on twice (1mph = 1.609kph, 1.609^2 =2.589

Can you post the raw log file?
Josh, that is it! I realized that the problem stemmed from my having two Speed channels in the same log; one from GPS, one from OBDII. I've created a new dataset and the conversion now works as intended. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Mattik

Post by Mattik »

Hi just try9ing to get this work but i get error when runing perl.

Bareword found where operator expected at rccsvgems.pl line 6, nerar ""en" class" .......

what did i do wrong?

Asgardus

Conversion when there is no GPS Data i.e. stagnant car

Post by Asgardus »

I am no programmer but I had a look at the script and the below solution would not work. I myself need data from a stagnant car too. The fault in the script is that it assumes beforehand that the time column is not in the first column. If it is, the script fails to to do the further time adjustments as it terminates before that so the below edit would not work. The Interval column comes first in RC logs. I may have got this completely wrong as I am a mechanical engineer but I have done some coding and maybe it's right. The script is awesome anyhow.
If anybody has a workaround for this, please share.

[quote="Copper280z"]Look at my repo, I made an edit for you. This was based on the copy I had locally, not Brent's new one, so there may be differences. I also changed a bunch of indentation a while ago, so that's showing up in the changes too.
https://github.com/Copper280z/RCP2GEMS/ ... 376d9c1192

Looks like $#array was increasing as the counter increased, I'm not versed in perl well enough to understand why, so I just made a new variable that holds the starting length, that seemed to do it.

Your data also has the Utc column as zeros, not sure why. The script doesn't find anything non-zero so it exits. Brent, is that column derived from GPS?

I didn't do it in my commit, but if you want to look at this data you can edit line 139 from this:

[code]if ( $array[0][$i] =~ /Utc/ ) { [/code]

to this:

[code]if ( $array[0][$i] =~ /Interval/ ) { [/code] [/quote]

Asgardus

Re: Conversion when there is no GPS Data i.e. stagnant car

Post by Asgardus »

I am no programmer but I had a look at the script and the below solution would not work. I myself need data from a stagnant car too. The fault in the script is that it assumes beforehand that the time column is not in the first column. If it is, the script fails to to do the further time adjustments as it terminates before that so the below edit would not work. The Interval column comes first in RC logs. I may have got this completely wrong as I am a mechanical engineer but I have done some coding and maybe it's right. The script is awesome anyhow.
If anybody has a workaround for this, please share.

[quote="Copper280z"]Look at my repo, I made an edit for you. This was based on the copy I had locally, not Brent's new one, so there may be differences. I also changed a bunch of indentation a while ago, so that's showing up in the changes too.
https://github.com/Copper280z/RCP2GEMS/ ... 376d9c1192

Looks like $#array was increasing as the counter increased, I'm not versed in perl well enough to understand why, so I just made a new variable that holds the starting length, that seemed to do it.

Your data also has the Utc column as zeros, not sure why. The script doesn't find anything non-zero so it exits. Brent, is that column derived from GPS?

I didn't do it in my commit, but if you want to look at this data you can edit line 139 from this:

[code]if ( $array[0][$i] =~ /Utc/ ) { [/code]

to this:

[code]if ( $array[0][$i] =~ /Interval/ ) { [/code] [/quote]

Asgardus

Solution found

Post by Asgardus »

I have modified the code for Interval column instead of UTC column for people who want to convert static car data or that without GPS. Working as of now but not thoroughly tested. Shall post if required.