Data Analysis Software - Motec, Gems, AEM

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Hi AM150 and anybody else interested in the GEMS PRO software (with native .csv import)

I've a few GEMS Data Analysis PRO dongles for sale if anybody is interested.

Having in use a GEMS DA3 as well as some RaceCapture/Pro devices I really like the PRO version of GEMS software. Next to native .csv import there is an array of functions that are pretty usefull like extensive maths functions, some byte decoding/rearranging within the maths section, so you may also be able to log raw CAN data and try to gather useful information out of the stream when you are back at the office (nice for reverse engineering unknown CAN streams).

Any of the graphical features are extemely configurable with respect to which kind of datapoints are used (i.e. the whole file, a section or lap, the actual area marked with the cursor, and such...)
You can also import generic video files into the software/project and sync it within a few clicks, generate overlay gauges within the video window, both for in depth analysis or for exporting the video with any overlays you may like.

If somebody wants a GDA Pro dongle then best contact method is by email to "info at race-electronic dot com" or click on the www link down below and send PM via Facebook...
Sadly the forum PMs here do not really work for me, as I'm most likely missing any notifications.

Cheers,
Mike

brawta

Post by brawta »

brentp wrote:What can help our effort is to understand how you want to do analysis, and to know what your 5-10 items you need to see to make analysis complete for what you need.

Please feel free to reply here with your list; we'll follow up with news and official announcements as well. Thanks!
Hi Brent,
The continuous improvements you guys have made for car & driver race analysis is impressive. I'd really appreciate you pursuing a similar but slightly parallel tack to make data analysis for tuning easier either by incorporating a flexible log export feature for the various external data analysis applications that are available, or else by including time-based charting of engine operating parameters within the RCP analysis package. For example I find it useful to overlay one or more of the signals from TPS, RPM, AFR, and EGT on a single chart with multiple vertical axes with user defined max/min unit scales. Being able to overlay data from separate runs on the same chart within RCP would be icing on the cake. Maybe a tuning run could be loosely equated with the lap motif but with initiation triggered by acceleration and end of run by an unchanging GPS. If I'm off base in asking or if this is already possible in the RCP analysis let me know.
Thanks!
Charley

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks all, for the feedback. We're tracking these feature requests into the new analysis capabilities - we'll have a demo of some of the new features soon, also showing tight integration with Podium, so data can be easily shared and accessed on-line.

brawta,

Fortunately, the RaceCapture app analysis already has the ability to compare log files from separate sessions. You can load two log files and compare laps/runs/sessions together and visualize them together.

Here's an example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi9nA2N87RY
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

goodap

Post by goodap »

brentp wrote:Thanks all, for the feedback. We're tracking these feature requests into the new analysis capabilities - we'll have a demo of some of the new features soon, also showing tight integration with Podium, so data can be easily shared and accessed on-line.

brawta,

Fortunately, the RaceCapture app analysis already has the ability to compare log files from separate sessions. You can load two log files and compare laps/runs/sessions together and visualize them together.

Here's an example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi9nA2N87RY
This would be amazing....in fact game changer! Great to hear you are looking at Analysis and Video Capabilities. This is what is holding me back committing to your system at the moment.

Similar to what Imstimpy mentions about circuit tools, I just want the ability to bring in the data channels that you are logging and be able to compare that to the video. Even being able to export a vbo file like Harrys Laptimer can would be great.

Circuit Tools/Racelogic System with Camera's is great, I just don't have the kind of Money that they are asking for then you need to get the additional analog input module as well and tbh the video quality seems rather poor compared to modern action cams that most people already have.

It is however quite impressive seeing someone come off the track and whack an SD card into the laptop and start analysing straight away.

If you can somehow integrate a gopro or video file, your racecapture data logs exporting into a decent analysis software so you can do it quickly at the track it would be almost life changing having that ability to see the trace logs and video in the same software.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

On a side note is RaceCapture working with Harry's Laptimer still, I'm sure I was reading it wasn't if it is there is there might be the option to export from Harrys your logs and pair up the video's in Circuit Tools. It's a bit manual but would do for now.

Cheers

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks. will keep updating with progress- it's an important thing for us to "complete the circle" (so to speak) for this system.

Related, Scott Barton, created an excellent guide on how to use Podium for analysis for how to go faster:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Podium_D ... a_Analysis

and a video guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWIDZwZfT2Y

If you haven't live-streamed, you can still upload log files after the fact by creating a new event manually.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

TXBDan

Post by TXBDan »

Brent, I don't fully understand. I believe you're saying that users of different systems can upload their data to Podium by either having an RCP system or by using a Podium Connect + their existing Aim, Motec, etc system. In this way you could compare data with people on other systems assuming they buy into the Podium system.

This is much different than being able to export our RCP data to another format. Do you intend to ever offer this feature? (I'm not even sure it'd be legal).

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

TXBDan wrote:Brent, I don't fully understand. I believe you're saying that users of different systems can upload their data to Podium by either having an RCP system or by using a Podium Connect + their existing Aim, Motec, etc system. In this way you could compare data with people on other systems assuming they buy into the Podium system.
Hi,

I think you hit the nail on the head and fully understand our intentions with Podium and the recently launched PodiumConnect telemetry bridge. Enhancing and furthering that capability is our primary business focus and we're working on many features in that area.

We have export formats on the long list of features, but we have many things prioritized in front of it. In the meantime, there are some good community-contributed scripts to transform data into GEMS.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

crispy

Post by crispy »

Hi guys,

It appears GEMS no longer have the dlog99 software available for download on their site. Does anyone want to help me out?

Thanks!

EDIT: Someone posted the file on another forum for me, it appears to work correctly. Can't post EXE files and the ZIP is too big; message me if you want the file.

JMcDonough

Post by JMcDonough »

In case anyone else is looking for it, I found a copy here:

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4191
Josh

johnny99

Post by johnny99 »

Has anyone tried to use Cosworth PI Toolbox.

John

dang

Post by dang »

Gents, is anyone still using GEMS or another data analysis software? I got the RCP2GEMS conversion script going, worked great with the demo file, but gave me an error when trying to convert my RCT .log file "Time column is not present in CSV" Perhaps the RCT .log file format has changed to something the RCP2GEMS script wasn't expecting?

Also, has anyone tried using Racelogic VBOX Circuit Tools software? I found a Python script to convert some of the app-based loggers like Racechrono, Trackmaster, etc. But figuring out how to mess with scripts is still a little above my paygrade!

https://github.com/lbulej/vbo-tools

Thanks.
Attachments
error.PNG
error.PNG (10 KiB) Viewed 323504 times

jpf11

Post by jpf11 »

I just tried it on a latest firmware log file from my mk3 and it worked for me. Can you post your log file so I can see what's up with it?

I did get an error though regarding the GpsSats column being missing. Fortunately I have an option to disable cleanup of logs related to that so you can proceed, but I'll have to see why that is and fix the script.

Canyonfive

Post by Canyonfive »

Has anyone tried https://trackattack.io/ ? The program is $80 US per year, and will import our .log files directly.

Canyonfive

Post by Canyonfive »

One more I found that will import the files if renamed to .csv http://xoomspeed.com/xoombox/software.htm
not intuitive. Gems Pro still seems very much like the answer, but maybe someone can get this working as well.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Good news; we are close to the next beta release of the RaceCapture app and Podium app software, which greatly improves the built-in analysis capabilities of the system.

The RaceCapture app will have very similar analysis capabilities to the Podium app and will be focused on reviewing local log files. The Podium app is focused on reviewing data live and in the cloud.

Here's a small demo of what the analysis will look like (for the Podium app):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbK6g1eeg-M

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter