CAN bus & ECU support plans

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

shmed

Post by shmed »

Hi Brent, I do have a race capture. I am still in the installation phase but how to have it up and running in the next week. I also have a Syvecs ECU that I plan to rad the can bus from.

Fancy sending b one to the UK for a beta test? :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That is entirely possible! Let's chat soon. custom CAN integration is something we definitely want to handle - for custom ECU integration, tapping into other datalogger streams (AiM MXL dash, for instance) and for talking to our own CAN based IO Exapnders and sensors.

-Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

shmed

Post by shmed »

Sounds good. Let me know when you have something you want to test. I think I mentioned elsewhere, but the Syvecs CAN output is quite flexible, so could be a good testing ground.

:D

Mulry

Post by Mulry »

brentp wrote:Yes - if you were following the commits to github! :) https://github.com/autosportlabs/RaceCa ... /tree/CANx

Done:
* hardware design is finalized
* CAN message read / write functional
* Lua scripting enabled for CAN message read/write
* Standard OBD2 PID reading enabled in firmware, blends with other channel data
* New API for version 2 firmware
* Improvements to Lua Scripting, including a log viewer to aid script debugging

Still to do:
* Virtual channels to enable receiving custom CAN messages and binding them to Logger channels, using math, algorithms, etc.
* Update Race Analyzer UI to select which OBD2 PIDs you want to query
* Update Race Analyzer for new Version 2 API
* CAN bus message sniffer to aid integrating custom / undocumented CAN hardware

We may be looking to beta test with users before full production. shmed , do you already have a RaceCapture/Pro system?
Brent, we'd be willing to beta this too. Our new Lemons project is OBD-II.

Other, somewhat related question: is there a way (or can we help figure out a way) to stream the data simultaneously to the Bluetooth module AND the telemetry module? We'd like to do some virtual instrumentation for the driver on the Android tablet in the car (Oil p, Oil temp, water temp, plus lap data) as well as sending that data plus tach data and lap data back to the paddock. If it's not currently supported, what can we do to help support that development? I've got ME's, EE's, and a former rocket scientist (literally) at my disposal :)

Pat

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the update.

We'll be writing a blog post outlining exactly what will be in this V2 firmware and what it will look like, due out around this weekend.

What year is your car? Note the CAN / OBD2 support will be for CAN enabled vehicles; which means 2008+ cars. Supporting all years of OBD2 is out of scope for the CANx device - if you're familiar with all of the OBD2 protocols you'll appreciate why - both from the complexity and cost.

for Pre-CAN OBD2 we are working on bridge device that will provide CAN connectivity to older OBD2 vehcles, likely using the scantools.com multi-protocol ST chip. We would prefer a fully open source version at some point, but a quick solution is preferred right now.

For running bluetooth and the telemetry module simultaneously, there is an option being tested right now in the form of a "Y" adapter; the Y adapter is configured so the bluetooth module spies on the traffic going to the telemetry module. However, there are some limitations: In Y adapter mode, the mobile app will only show data on the screen *while* the RT module is connected and transmitting. During the times that the cellular link is being set up, or connection is attempting to be made, no data is flowing, and the screen will not show data.

Hope this helps understand where things are. Watch for an updated blog post on the V2 firmware - it's going to be *huge* and will have additional significant features we haven't mentioned in this thread!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mulry

Post by Mulry »

Thanks Brent. I'll keep my eyes open for the blog update. Our new project is a '99, so we'd certainly be interested in the scantools chip option. If you need somebody to alpha test it, lemme know, we should have the engine running by June (for the November race) and could get everything hooked up shortly thereafter. Heck, you and I both know that everybody in Lemons will have to go this route -- who has a 2008+ car in that series? Cheaters, that's who! :)

On the bluetooth/telemetry Y-deal, we could live with that. Any idea when it will be available?

wrandleman

Post by wrandleman »

Custom CAN bus PID logging is the "buying it today" feature for me. Running autox and hillclimbs in an 06 Mazda MX-5. Would really like to be able to log brake pressures and ABS engagement which are available on the ECU.

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

i'm already ready to buy the obd2 device as well.

as soon as i have it, i'm confident i can make it do some wicked stuff with the mitsu evo X ecu.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

+1 - believe it or not, we're getting very close to offering the new app and V2 firmware for beta testing. Tons of great new features in addition to CAN!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

andylaurence

Post by andylaurence »

If it's ready for Sunday, I can test v2 at Crystal Palace on Sunday/Monday.
Sprinting an ADR Sport 2
www.endurancelay.co.uk

ProtoTim35

Use CAN date from Hayabusa for MK3. Need help.

Post by ProtoTim35 »

I recently bought a MK3 data logger, and am installing it in a prototype road course racecar powered by a Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle engine. I’ve got the MK3 installed, but nothing hooked up beyond the power and ground yet.
I’m hoping someone can help simplify some things for me first.

From what I understand, I can tap into each of my sensors on the engine, and passively read the values in the MK3 sensors – at least individually, and possibly through the CAN system. However, I’m hoping I can bypass having to hook up each sensor to the MK3 individually.

The Hayabusa does not have OBD-II. However, it appears it does have CAN - not certain, and not sure how to find out for sure. One particular wire goes from the ECU to the diagnostic computer and is labeled SDS/SDL depending on the end of the wire you are on, and another wire that goes from the ECU to the dash unit labeled data/tech, again, depending on the end of the wire you are on. I don’t know what data those wires carry.

I believe everything on the engine (as far as sensors is concerned) is 5V.
If either the Data or SDS/SDL wire carries the data I need, how can I tell or determine what it does carry?

What I'm hoping to do is tap into either the DATA or SDS/SDL wire and be able to access all of the data that way rather than via individual sensors. From what i read, it can be a pretty big ordeal trying to accurately set the parameters for each sensor in a non-laboratory environment.

I will be very appreciative of any info you can give me – on the above questions or anything else you think might help.

The above is the original post. After that post, I did a little more looking, and have additional information that might help you - which you can see in the schematics if there is a way I can get the schematics to you. There are two diagnostics plugs. One is for flashing the ECU. The other one is "SDS". I think the SDS plug is for reading the data, but not sure.

In the SDS plug, there are only 3 wires that go to the ECU editing program - 12V+, ground, and SDS. Within the ECU editor program, you have the capability of reading gobs of data. Thus, something in there has to be a CAN wire of some sort. The question, is it a CAN that is compatible with the MK3 software? Then, if it is, how do I use it? From what I understand, CAN has to have a "high" and "low". I would assume the SDS wire would be the "high" wire. Would it be safe then to assume that the ground wire (which is a common ground for the engine) is the "low" wire?

On the "flash" plug, two wires were added for flashing (not factory), and only two of the factory wires remain, going to the ECU Editor. Those wires are labeled "RXD1, and "TXD1". I assume those are communication wires (transmit and receive), likely for communicating progress of flashing, but not sure.

I'm planning to get started in the next couple days with the setup. It would be great if I go into this with a little more information than i have at this point.

The file of the schematics is too large to attach to this message at about 723KB. If you feel the schematics might help, please let me know, and let me know a way I can send it to you.

Thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

I see you've also posted in the CAN Bus mapping sub section of the forum. We recommend keeping the conversation in that one location so the information isn't fragmented. Also, this is a very old topic from 2014 with some outdated discussion (the system has greatly changed since then).

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ProtoTim35

best place to post this

Post by ProtoTim35 »

Thanks Brent. Can you recommend the best place to post the request. I'm not much of a forum guy, so not sure how ti figure out the best place to post. Thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This is the best place. Thanks!

viewforum.php?f=40
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter