OBDII via bluetooth?

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

MattS

Post by MattS »

I've ordered an RCP2 anyway but would certainly be keen to get some data out of my pre-CAN OBDII port.

I've got 3 cars (one with a Race Technology DL1 already fitted) that I use on track, two of which are OBDII only and one that has had an ECU (and engine) transplant that I believe does have some form of early bastardised CAN support (GMLAN?), though I've no idea if it offers anything useful. The OBDII on one of the cars is near useless as it's KWP-2000 and so slow that the ECU triggers the occasional misfire when too much is being asked of it over a bluetooth OBDII interface. :s

Anybody know how viable is it to build a DIY CAN system for a car that doesn't have it as standard?

I'd really like to install and capture data from more sensors than the 7 analog channels that RCP2 supports and without having a CAN system to pump all the data through, I can't see any way to achieve this. So would be good to know what would be involved in making my own pseudo-CAN system to carry this additional data.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Matt,

We're working on two things to address that:

The Legacy-OBD2->CAN-OBD2 will adapt the different legacy-style OBD2 protocols and make them CAN-OBD2 compliant; effectively modernizing the OBD2 interface. From RCP's perspective, it will look like it's talking to a modern CAN bus OBD2 vehicle.

We're also working on a CAN bus I/O expander, which will provide a number of additional sensor inputs and broadcast them over the CAN bus. Because sensors on the CAN bus are inherently slower than internal sensors, this will be good for offloading somewhat slower sensor data from the main RCP, keeping the internal sensor ports available for high speed use.

-Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

cmathews

Post by cmathews »

Do you have any updates on the progress of the legacy OBDII adaptor?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

No updates. We're shooting for something testable this quarter.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

fsparv

Post by fsparv »

Still looking for a solution for my MK1 here... I can of course use solostorm/bluetooth OBDII but that then gets my data split across solostorm and RCP.... (ick)...

aFe Power

Non-CAN OBD Updates?

Post by aFe Power »

I'm doing my homework right now trying to find a way to get some basic ECU data from a non-CAN OBDII vehicle. Just purchased the RCP MK2 and am wondering if there is an off the shelf solution yet.

thanks,
Aaron

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

We're working on releasing that this summer upon the completion of our Kickstarter campaign. See the 'classic OBD-II adapter' in the project description here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/au ... 310034660/

Watch our blog post for updates; that's where you will see news of it first. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter