Can I tether other devices to share internet?

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Chris F.

Can I tether other devices to share internet?

Post by Chris F. »

I suspect I know the answer, but is there any way I can tether another device to the RCP2 in order to leverage the data connection? For example, to transmit a live video feed. Wifi or bluetooth (which I haven't enable yet) would work (I'm not sure if it has the hardware to become a wifi hotspot).

Having a second SIM card is not really an option (cost wise), and I'd prefer to use the RCP telemetry (for which we already have an external antenna mounted up) vs. moving the SIM to something else to provide a data connection to both the RCP and other devices in the car.

Thanks,
Chris

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

The RCP MK2 has dual CANBUS, so I believe you can utilize one to output data if the other device can interpret. wouldnt be straight forward but i know i've watched a video of the guys using one RCP to send data to another RCP using CAN.
Last edited by momostallion on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris F.

Post by Chris F. »

Hmm, that doesn't sound straightforward, or really what I'm trying to do. Which is basically turn the RCP into a "hotspot" inside the car so other internet connected devices (e.g., video live stream) can piggy back of the RCP SIM card and data service in order to transmit.

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

oh, sorry, my mistake. i was thinking RCP data, not cellular data.

i could have swore the original post said something completely different, either that or i didnt have enough coffee today.

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi Chris, RCP can't be a hotspot for other devices. It only acts as a bluetooth device in client mode and the limited CPU and cellular bandwidth couldn't support much data.

You could go the other direction instead: Get a tablet with a SIM card or phone, connect to RCP via Bluetooth and have the RaceCapture app send telemetry to RaceCapture/Live. This way the phone can share connectivity as a hotspot.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

Katmeho

Post by Katmeho »

Setup option:

RCP with Bluetooth connected to Amazon Fire, Amazon Fire connected to iPhone or Mifi hotspot for Internet connectivity.

Will this allow for the real time uploading of data from the RCP to the Race-Capture site?

If so, what config is needed, need to enable BT on the RCP, need to enable real time telemetry but turn off the SIM function, need to put device ID into RCP and the site...what else?

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Yup, you can do that :)

Make sure your device id is in RCP's config, turn off the cellular module, then turn on sending telemetry in the app's preferences: http://i.imgur.com/2bODmyc.png
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs