Firmware update failure

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

wnwright

Firmware update failure

Post by wnwright »

So I am unable to update my firmware. Currently it has 2.8.1 (previously updated by me). Trying to go to 2.8.5, but also tried 2.8.4 after multiple efforts.

I've tried older and the latest version of the app (1.3.13) on a Windows 10 machine and Windows 7. Both machines see the racecapture mk2 properly in device manager (bootloader and normal). When in normal operation it connects reliably to the app.

Trying to update on the Windows 10 machine, it says that it is unable to find the bootloader. I've tried both methods and restarted the machine multiple times and even tried an update dance.

On the windows 7 machine it just hangs up at "0 Progress" regardless of what I try.

stieg

Post by stieg »

When you last updated it successfully were you on the Windows 7 machine? Do you remember what changed from the last time an update worked to now?
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

wnwright

Post by wnwright »

stieg wrote:When you last updated it successfully were you on the Windows 7 machine? Do you remember what changed from the last time an update worked to now?
Correct, the last update was done with the Windows 7 machine. That laptop is only used to tune and sits idle most of the time. Besides for updates to software nothing has really been done that I can recall.

stieg

Upgrade ASL software

Post by stieg »

Did you upgrade the Autosport labs software on the laptop by chance? You are not the first to report this issue and we are trying to isolate the root cause so any detailed info you could provide between when it last worked to now will be helpful. Have you tried downgrading the app to a previous version and doing the update there?

Very sorry for the inconvenience. I really want to see this resolved as I personally know how frustrating these situations can be. Thanks for working with us on it :).
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

wnwright

Re: Upgrade ASL software

Post by wnwright »

Sorry I wasn't clear. I absolutely did upgrade the software/app. I'm just not sure what version(s) I've upgraded from since the last time I updated the firmware (I might be able to check my downloads folder and figure that out). I don't think I've tried to downgrade the app, but I can try that tonight too.

Frustrating, but understandable with so many variables in play. Sadly I wasn't diligent in tracking what/when to be more helpful in debug.

stieg

Post by stieg »

Well lets see if we can figure it out. Here is a link to all of our software: https://www.race-capture.com/software. Try the latest and see if that helps. If not try going back to 1.2.5 or 1.3.0 and see if any of those make a difference. Sorry for the shotgun approach here.
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

wnwright

Post by wnwright »

Ok I finally got it to update, but I'm not sure why it worked this way.

I tried 1.2.5 and 1.3.0 with no success trying to update to 2.8.4 or 2.8.5 with either bootloader method. So then for some reason I tried 2.8.2 and it worked. After that tried 2.8.4/2.8.5 and same old hang up. So I tried 2.8.3 and it worked. From there I tried 2.8.5 again and it worked!

So I'm not sure if that helps, but that is more data. All of the successful updates were done in 1.3.0, but I didn't try any other version of the app while doing the incremental updates.

stieg

Post by stieg »

Awesome. Glad you got it to work. Thanks for the data points. Will have to get Windows 10 and see if we can reproduce locally and diagnose the issue.
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

stieg

Post by stieg »

quick question. When it failed what was the message? "Failed to locate bootloader?" or something like that?[/list]
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

wnwright

Post by wnwright »

stieg wrote:quick question. When it failed what was the message? "Failed to locate bootloader?" or something like that?[/list]
This was all on the Windows 7 machine (laptop) at the end. I only used the Windows 10 machine (desktop) to test with after failing the other day just to make sure it wasn't the laptop.

In the end it gave no errors at all when it was failing. It would process the hex file then go to the progress dial and not do anything (sometimes I would leave it there for >10 minutes). Only the Windows 10 machine ever gave me the "unable to find bootloader" message.

stieg

Post by stieg »

Oof... that is unpleasant. Our apologies about that update experience... its not supposed to be like that. Glad you got it working and thanks for the feedback and notes. We really do appreciate it.
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

wnwright

Post by wnwright »

It never bricked and it never stopped working... So that is a big plus.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Sorry this has been such a hassle. We're digging deeper into windows 10 support and testing to see if we can re-create some of these issues observed. Glad you got it working!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

CarpeForza

Post by CarpeForza »

I just got my RCP MKII and had a similar issue. For me, I found it was 2 issues:
1) I was using my GoPro USB to mini-USB cord (would transmit power but not data). --> Used a new cord.
2) My laptop antivirus was blocking the software --> disabled the software

Once I figured these things out, it worked as expected.
2004 Radical SR3

zquez

Post by zquez »

So I'm having this same exact issue but the solution posted did not work for me. I purchased the racecapture months ago and still have yet to get it to actually work. On my first plug in with the OBD II cable I found it displaying inaccurate and missing data. I figured maybe updating the firmware would make it send proper data over bluetooth. Went to update following the proper instructions and to no avail. Im still running 2.7.9. I have been running windows 10 for the past 9 months so this was only ever attempted on a W10 machine. Every time it tells me unable to locate bootloader. Trying older 2.8.0 firmware won't load either. So far this thing is an expensive piece of aluminum and circuit board.

Using latest 1.4.0 software. Latest drivers. :roll: