Has anyone had any success pulling CAN data 2015+VW?

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

air1dpt

Has anyone had any success pulling CAN data 2015+VW?

Post by air1dpt »

I'm running out of things to try regarding pulling CAN data from my 2016 MK7 VW. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any success with the current MY VW lineup of cars? Brent has suggested that the VW CAN may require some type of wake up trigger but I have found nothing on the internet to try. VCDS (Ross Tech) and at least one other company have OBDII devices that will read/write on the CANbus which is fine but I want everything to flow through my RCP device for logging and display. One of my desired goals for the RCP in my car being used for track purposes is to pull CAN data such as steering input and ride height which are available data points on CAN. I am thinking now that I need to create my own CAN network and splice into the existing sensors for the data that I would like. That approach may seem convoluted but it is becoming more evident to me that CAN data on late model VW's is a fleeting dream...

rennhaus

Re: Has anyone had any success pulling CAN data 2015+VW?

Post by rennhaus »

air1dpt wrote:I'm running out of things to try regarding pulling CAN data from my 2016 MK7 VW. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any success with the current MY VW lineup of cars? Brent has suggested that the VW CAN may require some type of wake up trigger but I have found nothing on the internet to try. VCDS (Ross Tech) and at least one other company have OBDII devices that will read/write on the CANbus which is fine but I want everything to flow through my RCP device for logging and display. One of my desired goals for the RCP in my car being used for track purposes is to pull CAN data such as steering input and ride height which are available data points on CAN. I am thinking now that I need to create my own CAN network and splice into the existing sensors for the data that I would like. That approach may seem convoluted but it is becoming more evident to me that CAN data on late model VW's is a fleeting dream...
We've tired to run it on a 2007 Audi S3 8P (similar but different) tarmac rally car. We were able to get a constant data stream by connecting the logger directly wired into the ECU side of the canbus gateway; with no real way to define the data however, we hit a wall.

And with the limited OBDII data we can access via the racecapture pro, we worked out we can actually see more data using a bluetooth OBDII dongle and the torque app.

Brent has said there is more to come with the next revision of the software, so just waiting to see when it may be available.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We have a video here that describes the new features coming for OBDII and CAN mapping - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc1Bi__0IDk

This is the first part of the equation; the 2nd is to figure out what OEM PIDs need to be queries to extract the specific data you want. Once that's determined you'll be able to get standard and OEM specific ECU data.

This will be in the next major release of the app / firmware. No specific ETA, but it's a high priority. Hope that helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter