Possible to log CAN data on RCP MKI?

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Alex W

Possible to log CAN data on RCP MKI?

Post by Alex W »

Quick question, is it possible to setup my RCP MKI to log CAN bus data, specifically from a 2007 Rav4 ECU (swapping a 3.5L 2GR-FE into my MR2). Just wondering if I should run the wires or not, will figure out the details later!

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

Well, after a bit more searching I found the answer, that the MKI can't do CAN without the CANx add-on board. Is that available somewhere, or did it get dropped when the MKII came out?

Alternately, I see a bluetooth module in the MKI Accessories page, but the description says it only works with the MKII. https://www.autosportlabs.com/product-c ... cessories/

Is it possible to log via that from an OBD2 bluetooth adapter? Seems like a roundabout way to get there...

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

Alex W wrote: Alternately, I see a bluetooth module in the MKI Accessories page, but the description says it only works with the MKII. https://www.autosportlabs.com/product-c ... cessories/
Can someone at least answer this question? Does the BT module work with the MKI or not?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, Sorry for the delay! :)

The Bluetooth module does work with MK1 as well as MK2.

We had an initial run of the CANx module that works with the MK1, but we don't have current plans to produce more of them. The hardware design files for this adapter are available here for the DIY-er: https://github.com/autosportlabs/CANx

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

brentp wrote: The Bluetooth module does work with MK1 as well as MK2.
Cool, thanks. I may pick one of those up here soon. I have figured out direct methods to log all of the things I was hoping to log, so the CAN logging isn't an issue any more, but being able to connect from my tablet would be nice!

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

brentp wrote:Hi, Sorry for the delay! :)

The Bluetooth module does work with MK1 as well as MK2.

We had an initial run of the CANx module that works with the MK1, but we don't have current plans to produce more of them. The hardware design files for this adapter are available here for the DIY-er: https://github.com/autosportlabs/CANx

Hope this helps!
Thanks for making this info openly available. DIY-er's still need to have the board printed somewhere, right? I'm comfortable with soldering in some thru-hole components, but have no means to print a PCB :(

Even if you don't produce a finished CANx module, could we purchase a kit or bag of parts Megasquirt style?

TXBDan

Post by TXBDan »

Check out OSHPark for cheap/easy PCB jobs. They handle the Eagle files natively. Just upload, pay, and wait a week or so.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Oshpark is perfect for this. The parts are surface mount, but do-able with the right parts and practice. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

Cool, thanks for the tip where to get the board made.

What about a components parts list? Maybe I'm missing something as I'm not seeing that at the GitHub link.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

We've updated the repository to include a BOM and some brief instructions on building and connecting it to MK1.

This could be a great little project for a student or someone familiar with building surface mount circuits, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Keep us posted on how it goes!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

Uh oh, fault message on OSH Park :(

I downloaded the CANx.brd file (save link as) from GitHub and then tried to upload to OSH Park, this was the message which came back.
Attachments
OSHPark_fail.png
OSHPark_fail.png (50.28 KiB) Viewed 18594 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sounds like the download was garbled. Try this:

* Go to: https://github.com/autosportlabs/CANx
* Press the green "Clone or Download" button on right
* Select the "Download zip" option.

You'll find the .brd file in there.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

Thanks for the nice list of parts in the CANx.csv!

* "MCP2515ST" is this MCP2515-I/ST or MCP2515-E/ST? If E is the same as I, just greater temp then I'd take "E" :P

* WE-CBF_1812 seems to come in different types. Which MHz, Ohm, and mA are recommended?

* There are a few different voltage ratings for C0603K 0.1uF and 22pF. Which is recommended?

* CPOL-USSMCD doesn't lead directly to a "polarized capacitor." Searching for a 10uF "polarized capacitor" yields results for bi-polar/non-polar and general purpose. Which is correct?

* R-US_R0603 is the 120Ohm terminating resistor. 100mW / 50V? Same question for the 4.7K.

* CRYSTAL5X3 must be CSX3-AA-18-16.000, right?

* MCP2551 has an option for SOIC-8, this is the right one, correct?

* 95001-2881 is obsolete. Is 95501-2881 a suitable replacement?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

GTIspirit wrote:Thanks for the nice list of parts in the CANx.csv!

* "MCP2515ST" is this MCP2515-I/ST or MCP2515-E/ST? If E is the same as I, just greater temp then I'd take "E" :P

Yup, doesn't matter. Just needs to be the TSSOP package.

* WE-CBF_1812 seems to come in different types. Which MHz, Ohm, and mA are recommended?

It's a ferrite bead, not critical. If uncertain, just jumper the pad with a wire.

* There are a few different voltage ratings for C0603K 0.1uF and 22pF. Which is recommended?

at least 16v.

* CPOL-USSMCD doesn't lead directly to a "polarized capacitor." Searching for a 10uF "polarized capacitor" yields results for bi-polar/non-polar and general purpose. Which is correct?

you can use a 10uF 1206 ceramic capacitor, 16v. Polarized capacitor not required.

* R-US_R0603 is the 120Ohm terminating resistor. 100mW / 50V? Same question for the 4.7K.

Those specs are fine.

That should work.

* MCP2551 has an option for SOIC-8, this is the right one, correct?

SOIC-8 is the package, correct.

* 95001-2881 is obsolete. Is 95501-2881 a suitable replacement?

That should work.

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

brentp wrote:
GTIspirit wrote:

That should work.
Oops, don't need 1000 of those crystals! :oops:

These are the important specs, right?
Frequency: 16MHz
Series/Package: CSX3

"CSX3" gives only once choice.
So is the Package / Case then 5mm x 3.2mm?
Any particular load capacitance or frequency stability?

Maybe this one? ECS-160-18-30BQ-DS