PWM Capability in Racecapture Pro mk3

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

neerajr44

Post by neerajr44 »

There is no mention of PWM capability for the mk3 on the website which was a capability that the mk2 had. Has the feature been dropped?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That's correct. Our feedback was that it was a little used feature and at the same time the overwhelming request was more inputs. So, it's been removed and two more inputs have replaced it.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

tecmini

Post by tecmini »

Is there a work around for this? I have 5 PWM motors I was planning to leverage the RCPMK3 for control. I will be using various temp sensors monitored by the RCPMK3 and was hoping to make PWM adjustments to the various coolant pumps based on the temp readings. Any suggestions how to couple the RCPMK3 sensor analysis abilities to something that could control the pumps?
Thanks, Steve

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

There's no native work around, sorry.

Best idea is to implement an external device that can output PWM signals, such as an arduino. That Arduino could be equipped with CAN bus, which then RCP could send CAN messages instructing the arduino to set it's PWM outputs.

This is what I would do if I were solving this problem.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

tecmini

Post by tecmini »

Thanks Brent, I had a feeling that was the solution. Any example LUA code available to set this up on the RCP and any pointers to Arduino examples? Trying to find as much as possible without reinventing the wheel so to speak. Especially since I need to do this for several pumps using several sensors.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

On the RCP side it's really easy; figure out your 0-100 PWM percentage and periodically send a CAN message as that value.

Here are some examples:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... _GPS_speed

Quite a few CAN bus examples for the Arduino world:
https://www.google.com/search?client=ub ... 8&oe=utf-8

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

tecmini

Post by tecmini »

Thanks again Brent. Still looking for a slightly less home brew approach. Is it possible to still buy the RCP MK2? It has 4 PWM ports which I think I could live with (instead of the 8 I mentioned earlier).

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Not available, sorry. But you could probably find one used if you looked around !
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Tecmini,
I think I have both options, either a separate CAN device that has pwm outputs, or otherwise I may have a new MK2 unit left also.

For any details shoot a message via FB or better drop an email:
info at race-electronic dot com
and we go from there.

Regards,
Mike