Racecapture Pro mk3 & Racerender

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

anastos

Post by anastos »

I'm having trouble using Racecapture data files in Racerender.
I export the files from the analysis / saved sessions page in the app. They have the .log file extension ( which is apparently the only option ). When the files are viewed in notepad they appear to be CSV format. I tried renaming the files with.csv and using the renamed file IN RR - same results. RR does not display any information from the logs.
How can I convert the logs to work with RR?

Thanks
Thanks,
Anastos

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

We should have this in our Wiki, but we don't! We have some people who are quite familiar with how to do this, I've pinged them for some info.

Should update here when available. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

anastos

Post by anastos »

I managed to get the data logs to work in Racerender. I had to delete early parts of the log that lacked GPS data.
I was then able to manually configure the file to work in RR. :)
Thanks,
Anastos

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update. Good tip on removing lines that don't have GPS data.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Bryan@UnderbiteRacing

Post by Bryan@UnderbiteRacing »

Running the logs through the rcp2csv script mentioned in the Data Analysis Software sticky at the top of this forum section will automate the prep for RaceRender.

Cheers,
Bryan

jpf11

Post by jpf11 »

Bryan's right, my script does a lot of data cleanup which seems to make life much easier with RaceRender, usually working after conversion without further data modification.

I just had a race weekend with data and video so I'll take this opportunity to write up a workflow for RaceRender in the wiki.

anastos

Post by anastos »

I believe the problem is resolved. I sent a copy of a RCP log to the folks at Racerender and they updated their software.
After updating Racerender the two programs work together nicely without any conversion. I did find one of my log files corrupted. There were misplaced & extra parentheses in the heading section of the file. I'm not sure if the file was recorded that way or if it was later corrupted. I did open it in an "Open Office" spreadsheet to view the contents in an organized format. The headings may have been screwed up then.
Anyway I've made a couple of MP4's in RR with RCP data overlays and they turned out good.
I do wish RR had analysis tools so that the data could be reviewed simultaneously with the video. Anyone know if there has been progress made with including video in Racecapture App?

Thanks
Thanks,
Anastos

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the updates on RR. Glad to see they're able to improve file handling support.

There are definitely plans scheduled for including video in the RC app; the framework we use has actually great support for video, and we'll be able to do things like dynamic gauge overlay during playback, and several more cool things. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

anastos

Post by anastos »

That's great, looking forward to that. :)
Thanks,
Anastos

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Us too. :)

jpf11

Post by jpf11 »

I just created this basic guide for using RaceCapture with RaceRender. You can find it on the Autosportlabs Wiki here:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... nder_Guide

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I do wish RR had analysis tools so that the data could be reviewed simultaneously with the video. Anyone know if there has been progress made with including video in Racecapture App?
Circuit Tools, free from Racelogic, does that. It may be trickier to get the video added, though.

https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index. ... s-software

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The framework we use for the RaceCapture app has great support for video, and I did a simulation synchronizing activity in the app (e.g. updating gauges) with video frames. Seems to work quite well; I'm itching to get it integrated into the analysis view after we get some other tasks done. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I forgot that Circuit Tools, besides requiring data in the vbo format, conversion to which wouldn't be difficult. It also calculates velocity and acceleration from the GPS fixes rather than from accelerometer input data. The six decimal place format of GPS data from RaceCapture devices does not have sufficient resolution to accurately calculate acceleration or direction for that matter.