New Conversion Tool to Circuit Tools (vbo) format

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

MCScott

New Conversion Tool to Circuit Tools (vbo) format

Post by MCScott »

Not sure where to put this on the forums exactly, but here seems like a start. I dusted off my long unused C++ skills and built a little conversion tool to interpolate and convert Race Capture .log files into Circuit Tools .vbo format, including the ability to link video files if desired. This turned out to be rather more involved than it appears on the surface, but the tool seems to be working reliably enough now to share. Zip file with Windows command line program and instructions attached. I find CT more useful for analysis, especially with video included.

The only significant limitation at the moment is that CT computes lateral acceleration from velocity and heading delta, and RC does not capture heading directly. My hackish attempt at computing heading from GPS fixes isn't good enough yet, and so the default CT lateral acceleration channel is basically useless. However, the raw acceleration data from RCP is available in the converted CT file as auxiliary channels AccelX and AccelY.

Try it out and let me know how it works. When I get a bit more time, I will post this as a Github project and maybe create Mac or Linux versions if there is enough demand. And the "documentation" needs some work :)

Scott B
Attachments
rclog2vbo_010.zip
(30.21 KiB) Downloaded 542 times

thokes82

Post by thokes82 »

Very cool. Their program alongside with Video Analysis is quite good and useful. If you would open your source on github, we could contribute a bit. For example with a gui or a sync tool for the video or unit conversion etc...

MCScott

Post by MCScott »

thokes82 wrote:Very cool. Their program alongside with Video Analysis is quite good and useful. If you would open your source on github, we could contribute a bit. For example with a gui or a sync tool for the video or unit conversion etc...
Yes I'll post it on github when I get a spare hour this weekend ...

eacmen

Github?

Post by eacmen »

Did you get a chance to post the source to github yet? Id also like to contribute.

jabtronic

Post by jabtronic »

Can anyone confirm if this tool still works correctly?

I have tried it with the sample logs Brett uploaded some years ago, and it appears to work until you try and compare more than 1 lap and the graph plots go all over the place.

I'm hoping it's just an issue with the sample files? I really want to be able to use the RCP with Circuit Tools.
Thanks

Sample files are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o6u4kil4xdv4 ... O8UTa?dl=0

jabtronic

Post by jabtronic »

Here's an example using the Tsukuba sample log
Attachments
ct.JPG
ct.JPG (131 KiB) Viewed 11374 times
ct2.JPG
ct2.JPG (133.89 KiB) Viewed 11374 times

MCScott

Post by MCScott »

Sorry I didn't see the above reported bug. It seems the VBO file format uses an unusual time stamp format that required some additional special conversion handling. The new version of the utility I've posted here fixes that problem, and also provides a somewhat better handling of the "heading" value that Circuit Tools uses to compute lateral G forces.

I had promised to post a github repo of the source code, but it's now so many layers of hacks that I don't think I can support pull requests. I may someday get around to rewriting this in a much more extensible way, but no promises.
Attachments
rclog2vbo_zip.zip
(29.52 KiB) Downloaded 393 times