Power over OBD2 question

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

AM150

Power over OBD2 question

Post by AM150 »

So I have now got some CAN data over OBD2 logging, so I'm plugging the RCP into the OBD2 port as well as the regular hardwired switched powersource.

My problem is that the OBD2 port appears to always be powered, so the only way to turn off RCP is to disconnect it from OBD. I know that I'll forget to reconnect it before hopping on track at some point, so is it possible to tell RCP not to take power from the CAN port, and only from the switched source? If not is there a more elegant solution to turning it off than unplugging the OBD2 port?

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

You can cut one of the ends off the RJ45 cable that connects the OBDII adapter to the RaceCapture and then put on a new end. Before adding the new end cut the wire that goes into pin 8 on the connector. Pin 8 is typically the brown wire.

UIMechEngr

Re: Power over OBD2 question

Post by UIMechEngr »

Replying to an old post here, but did cutting wire 8 and re-terminating work? I have the same problem (E36 M3)

brentp
Site Admin

Re: Power over OBD2 question

Post by brentp »

The easiest solution without needing to cut wires is to get an OBDII extension cable with a power switch. Easily findable on Amazon.