Lateral G readings

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

the ocho

Lateral G readings

Post by the ocho »

I have an SCCA Solo F Modified car. It's very rigidly sprung and the two-stroke powerplant generates lots of vibration. We run on Hoosier Slicks, and everything we've seen says we pull 1.6 to 2.0 lateral G regularly (either from phone/tablet data or from Garmin Virb data).

RCP is reporting 1.2 to 1.3

Is there any way to get more reliable data from our accelerometer? Is this a hardware/mounting issue or a data averaging/smoothing issue? Even looking at Raw data - we're only seeing peaks of 1.4 to 1.5 (but in big bumps, it'll spike to 2+)

The RCP is semi-rigidly mounted to the chassis. I could probably remove the bolts and use some heavy duty velcro to give it some higher frequency isolation from the chassis if you think that would help.

the ocho

Post by the ocho »

we're also seeing reports of 30+ degrees of body roll also... which seems a little extreme :lol:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We have a smoothing available for the Accelerometer / Gyro, but the adjustments aren't available in the UI, yet.

I would try to much more softly mount the unit in the meantime; that should help significantly!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

the ocho

Post by the ocho »

I'll give it a try this weekend and report back - thanks Brent!

murph1379

Post by murph1379 »

I am seeing similar results in my Formula 500 car.

The G loads may be accurate, but I am quite sure my car never hit 60* of roll. I would assume there's a decimal off in there?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

It's important to understand that the yaw sensor measures *rate of rotation* - not the actual angle of rotation. So depending on the car, you could see that reading. Also, dampening will help reduce the spike.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter