Help getting Dashware to use data file

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

ProtoTim35

Help getting Dashware to use data file

Post by ProtoTim35 »

I've been trying to upload a log/.csv file to DashWare, and it isn't going through. I suspect it has something to do with the time/date data. That's because I get error messages something to that affect. I've done the best I can to set up the .csv file as directed in the link from the Autosports Labs info page for use with DashWare, although some of those instructions are a bit sketchy, so I might not have gotten it done quite right. From what I understand, one of the things I have to do is to convert the Unix time to local time. It took a bit of digging, but I was finally able to find a good way to do that, and the result appears to be perfectly accurate to the date, time, and seconds to the millisecond.

I've already spent at least 2 to 3 hours trying to get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be happy to send you a copy of the data file. I would imagine it will be an easy fix, if you know what it's supposed to be, which I apparently don't. I tried contacting support at DashWare, and their site says they don't offer any support, to contact GoPro for support. I contacted GoPro, and they tried to help me, but it seemed obvious they didn't know what they were doing, and then they told me that they aren't supposed to offer support for DashWare anymore, that it's an obsolete program.

The Dashware's capabilities was a definite part of why I opted to go with the MK3 instead of other competing data loggers. I'm now using RaceRender, but it doesn't seem to have as much capabilities as DashWare.

I love how simple the direct upload of the log file is for RaceRender, but I would like the capabilities of DashWare - particularly how it displays the tire temperatures from Izze Racing. If you have any other programs that will work like DashWare in that respect, I would be happy to try that - especially if it's as easy to load the data as RaceRender is. Otherwise, if you can help me fix the upload problem with DashWare, that would be great. I'll post below, a small section of the CSV, in case that will help you. I did this in Excel, and saved it as a CSV, and copied it from that spreadsheet to this page, and inserted the commas manually (as well as spaces to try to line columns up) for this post. Again, I'll be happy to send you a copy of the .csv file if that will help.

Thanks,

Time, interval, UTC, AFR, tpsvolts,

11/10/2018 14:38:21, 81144, 1541882737449, 12.89,
11/10/2018 14:38:21, 81244, 1541882737549, 13.48, 1.24

ferg

Post by ferg »

I have found that editing CSV files in Excel will often change the contents. Edit the CSV file directly with Windows NotePad app often works better.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
Autosport Labs Preferred Dealer
https://veracitydata.com

ProtoTim35

Post by ProtoTim35 »

Thanks for the advice. I see it's pretty easy to open in notepad, but then how do I convert it to .CSV? I don't see an option for that. Also, how would I convert the UTC to a local time/date format in notepad? I suspect the time/date format is the key to the problem, but not certain.

ferg

Post by ferg »

Just use Save, and it will save into the same file. Or use Save As and give it the .csv extension.

I'm no help on the conversion needed. I was just aware of this issue with editing CSV files in Excel -- I think it was converting my numbers into strings, which wouldn't be processed by the program I wanted to import the CSV. I was exporting data from one data system and importing into another and needed to make a few tweaks to the header.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
Autosport Labs Preferred Dealer
https://veracitydata.com

ProtoTim35

Post by ProtoTim35 »

You may have a point there. For the time/date, I did use an imbedded formula, but then I did a copy special, and had it copy and paste only the values, thinking that might be the problem. Unfortunately, when I went back later and checked the .csv file, it still showed the formulas embedded. That might very well be the problem. I'll have to see if I can find another way to do the paste special that it won't copy the formulas. I've never seen it copy the formulas before I tell it to paste value, but then I don't work a lot with CSV files, and that might make a difference. I'll give it a try and see if I can get it to work that way. Thanks.