Max Reference 5V Current with Multiple AnalogX boards

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

BigLobsterDude

Max Reference 5V Current with Multiple AnalogX boards

Post by BigLobsterDude »

I have a RaceCapture Pro MK3 with 2 AnalogX boards attached.

I know the specification states the MK3 will source 5V @ 500mA and the specification for the AnalogX is 5V @ 500mA.

Question is:

What is the total 5V current that can be sourced (assuming current draw is equally distributed across the devices)?

In other words ... Is it 500 mA per source (e.g. 500 for MK3, 500 for AnalogX1, etc.) or simply 500mA total regardless of how many AnalogX boards are used.

Thanks!

John

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

In theory, you could wire up the 5v references in parallel to get more current output. If you really needed something more, then I would suggest a separate higher power supply.

What kind of sensor do you have that needs significant current?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

BigLobsterDude

Post by BigLobsterDude »

Brent,

You answered my question -- each device (e.g., MK3, each analogX, etc) will individually provide up to 500 mA over their 5V reference source.

I'm not trying to exceed 500 mA on any single sensor/load. I just wanted to make certain that I didn't need to limit the total draw across all sources to 500 mA.

FYI - In my case I'm powering a 5V Arduino Pro Mini in addition to a number of sensors across the multiple devices.

Thanks again!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sure thing, happy to help. I'm sure you'll measure the full current draw using your meter to confirm the usage.

Let us know how it ends up working!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter