set local time

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

ProtoTim35

set local time

Post by ProtoTim35 »

Is there a way to have racecapture put local time, instead of GMT in the time stamps for log displayed times? This would be nice, so we don't have to mentally convert each log file to try to match to video files and such. I can't seem to find a way to do it or any reference to it. Thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

When you say times, do you mean within the log file, or the timestamp on the actual log file when it's written to SD card?

For the log file, it will always be UTC time. For the logfile time stamp, it will be UTC time as well, since the RaceCapture device does not know the time zone you are in.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

ProtoTim35

Post by ProtoTim35 »

I think that answers my question. I was wondering/hoping there was a way to tell it Eastern Time, but I guess not. I know I couldn't find anything for doing that, but wasn't sure. Thanks.

ferg

Post by ferg »

Perhaps the race capture app could send the timezone from the app's device to the RaceCapture when the configuration was written.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
Autosport Labs Preferred Dealer
https://veracitydata.com

Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

ferg wrote:Perhaps the race capture app could send the timezone from the app's device to the RaceCapture when the configuration was written.
+1 either this or just add Timezone as a configuration setting.

Another idea would be to use the timezone of the track that has been detected or manually selected. Although the configuration value would be available sooner when booting up.

ProtoTim35

Post by ProtoTim35 »

I thought I read somewhere that the latest update to the RaceCapture app now records local time. I have installed the latest app and firmware, and can't find a way to set it to show local time on the file name, which is important when trying to sync it with video. Any help?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - just to clarify; the update to the RaceCapture app will show the UTC time as the currently configured locale time of the device the app is running on. It doesn't influence the timestamp for data logs recorded on the RaceCapture hardware.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ProtoTim35

Re: set local time

Post by ProtoTim35 »

I'm still trying to understand why my racecapture app doesn't time stamp the log with local time. I use a GoPro and the MK3. I often do 5 or so events in a weekend or track day. When I get home and try to put it all together, the time stamps from the MK3 never coincide with the actual times. I think they are in UTC time, but would need to look back again to be sure, and it sometimes even seems to not be consistent in the time zone it stamps it to. Since it doesn't time stamp the local time, it is often very difficult to match the videos to the data. Any help?

brentp
Site Admin

Re: set local time

Post by brentp »

RaceCapture/Pro does not track the locale, so it can only store it in UTC. We don't have plans for enabling this, sorry.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter