Race Capture Pro Mk3 will not connect to Race Capture App

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

NRG Motorsports

Race Capture Pro Mk3 will not connect to Race Capture App

Post by NRG Motorsports »

I was attempting to update both the app and the firmware today. I think though I have only succeeded in breaking the RCPmk3. Now it will not connect to the race capture app. The green power light comes on and the sd card light flashes yellow very fast. Other than that, nothing. I have checked to make sure that the unit is not stuck in bootloader by verifying the button is not depressed. I do not have an SD card installed as we do not use this unit for data logging.

If I have somehow interrupted or loaded bad/wrong firmware, corrupted the bootloader, or some other coding no no, is it possible to some how manually reset the factory start up sequence?

Can I send the unit in for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really do not want to buy another unit if this one can be salvaged.

ross2004

Post by ross2004 »

I noticed the same last night- MK3 and a Fire tablet both on the latest app & firmware. Tablet would not connect to the RCP in the dashboard page when it first opened. I then went into setup, read config, and it connected.

Haven't had a chance to diagnose any further.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

It sounds like the unit did not complete the firmware upgrade process. This is easy to fix - just re-do the firmware update process:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... e_Firmware

The flashing orange light means the system is in bootloader mode - ready to receive new firmware over USB.

Ultimately, the system is fairly "un-brickable" - by design. Please let us know it goes on your next attempt.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

NRG Motorsports

Thank you for the reply Brent.

Unfortunately the Race Capture does not connect to the app via the USB. The app attempts to connect but alternates "Searching Com 3" and "Connecting..." thus I cannot even get to a point where I can do a firmware update. My PC senses that a device has been connected via USB but beyond that there appears to be no communication.

Do you have any suggestions? I would like to get this resolved so that this unit can be used for future races.

Alex

ferg

Post by ferg »

Did you follow these steps listed as the "Alternate Method"

While holding down the button on RaceCapture/Pro, power it up by plugging in to USB.
You should observe a rapidly flashing LED on the unit: this means it's in bootloader mode.
Start the app. Note, it will not be able to connect - this is expected.
Navigate to Setup.
Load a previously saved configuration file.
Navigate to the firmware update view, then follow the process to update firmware.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
Autosport Labs Preferred Dealer
https://veracitydata.com

NRG Motorsports

Well the alternative method took care of it! The unit is back up and running. Thank you!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you figured it out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter