Logging issue - multiple 0-6kb files

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

smallspeed

Logging issue - multiple 0-6kb files

Post by smallspeed »

Hi hoping someone can help..
I’ve not used my car for a while and started logging yesterday at the track. What I’ve ended up with is a ton (thousands) of 0 to 6kb size log files with very little info in them - it’s as if it’s made a new file for every data point
I am wondering if my as card is no good as a starting point and I read a post that said we shouldn’t be using SDHC cards?

Could someone confirm for me:

A) can we use SDXC? I can’t seem to find any cards for sale that aren’t either HC or XC
B) is the card the most likely cause of the file issue?

I don’t have anything setup to auto log I’m just pressing the button before I head out on track

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Anyone have any pointers for me?
Need to get on an order a non HC card before my next outing in a few weeks..

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

so I tried a couple of different SD cards tonight - all freshly formatted, FAT32
Every one had the same issue - 2-3min of logging (on the driveway) resulted in 350+ log files - a couple 3kb files and about 100 2kb files, the rest all 0kb
The files with data appear to be “working”, it’s like the data is split across tons of files and then basically logging stops and the files go to 0kb..

I’m completely stumped and don’t have a solution - I can’t find anyone else has had this issue and there’s no reference to it elsewhere on the forums. If anyone has had this before and can shed any light I’d appreciate it

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

So I guess this is a completely new issue that only affects me?
No ideas whatsoever how I might fix this?... anyone?!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Sorry we missed this post!

Let's baseline with some information:

1) What hardware revision do you have? RaceCapture/Pro MK2 or MK3 or /Apex ?
2) What firmware is it currently running?
3) How are you triggering the logging? Are you using the automatic logging feature built-into the firmware under Setup / Automatic Control? Or, are you using a script to trigger logging (old style)

If RaceCapture has problems logging, it will report it to the RaceCapture Log. You can access this log by going to Setup / Scripting and checking the box "poll log"

Instructions: https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... apture_Log

This will have messages about when it starts and stops logging, with any error messages.

Finally, SDHC (32GB and smaller) logs are required, ideally with a fresh FAT32 format.
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... rd_logging

Please let us know, we'll watch this post for updates. Thanks!
Attachments
sd_logging_automatic_control.jpg
sd_logging_automatic_control.jpg (85.09 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter