Hardware board improvement suggestion

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

GTIspirit

Hardware board improvement suggestion

Post by GTIspirit »

I was working on configuring my RaceCapture Pro in-vehicle today and had it hooked up to my computer while it was concurrently powered by the vehicle, so I could easily download configuration changes. When I turned off the ignition key I was surprised to see some idiot lights still illuminated on the dash. Measured voltage across the 12V +/- pins of the RaceCapture Pro and saw 3.3V. Promptly disconnected the USB cable from the computer and the voltage dropped to zero and the idiot lights went out.

It's probably not a good thing to be trying to power up the vehicle through the computer's USB port when the ignition is off. Maybe a diode on the 12V power to the RaceCapture Pro could prevent backfeeding to the vehicle in such case?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yes, it would be good to isolate the USB power line. Thanks for the note!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

I noticed this as well, except my car kept running even after removing the key. Of course the next time I tried to start it I got an error saying incorrect sentry key. This is on a Dodge.

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

Is there anything we can do to fix this? It is causing all kinds of problems in my car with the immobilizer key system.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This is only happening when you are connected via USB, correct?

You could put an IN4004 diode in series with the 12V input to RCP. You can find this diode at RadioShack.

Keep us posted on how that works
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

Yes, it seems to be a problem if I power the RaceCapture up through USB without the car running.

I will head to RadioShack and see if they have one of those and give it a shot. I'll report back when I get a chance to give it a try.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Note, you will want the Cathode of the diode towards RaceCapture/Pro. Let us know how it works out!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

This worked perfectly. No more CELs dealing with the immobilizer key.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Noted. We will be sure to update the next board revision!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter