Firmware Updating (1.1.9)

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

perlpunk

Firmware Updating (1.1.9)

Post by perlpunk »

Just got around to configuring my RC for an upcoming LeMon's event and thought I'd ensure the latest firmware was on there before I got started. I'm not sure if it was necessary although I just like to make sure I'm on the latest release before playing with stuff.

1. Documentation on the process is lacking, it appears as though you have to forcibly uninstall/remove the bootloader drivers and (possibly wasn't able to confirm) re-install the Serial port drivers before you can get it to detect the normal Serial mode. Before that, even without pressing the button, it would just detect the RCP as RaceCapturePro Bootloader... Please correct me if I did something wrong although I didn't see this noted.

2. I've used a number of emulated COM ports on my computers, so Win automatically assigned it 30 on one computer and 22 on another. The RA software config only goes up to 20 (hopefully in the future it can auto-detect what COM ports the RCP would possibly be on, or at least be able to type one in) for which I had to reassign the port via the Device Manager. Minor issue but it should be noted in docs.

3. If you change the RCP COM Port in the Device Settings, the RA software doesn't seem to agree to reading the config unless you disconnect and connect the device. Which means this is a multi-step process because you can't change the port unless its connected; 1. Connect 2. Change COM Port in Device Mgr 3. Disconnect/Reconnect 4. Start RA This should be noted in the docs, I was able to test this multiple times.

Machine 1: Win 7 Pro 64bit SP1 - USB 2.0
Machine 2: Win 7 Home 64bit SP1 - USB 3.0

In the end I was able to update the firmware and update the config, though its a bit of a hassle, I wouldn't recommend it for most people. Maybe its just a first time thing...?

TWO CENT RECOMMENDATION: If possible, allow the device to read and rewrite the firmware itself if the user uploads a new firmware image to the SD card.

I hope I don't sound like I'm bitching, I'm honestly excited to get out and start using it!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi perlpunk,

Thanks for the feeback. You *definitely* should be able to have bootloader drivers installed side-by-side with the RCP regular drivers.

What happens is when you power up the unit while holding down the front button is it starts up as a HID device, and the bootloader driver recognizes it as such. The flasher application can then find it and flash the firmware.

Agree on the COM port auto-detection. That needs to be added to RaceAnalyzer - otherwise it's a bit of a hassle to reset the COM port in Device Manager.

Sometimes windows itself seems to get hung up with COM port locking; we do our best to fully close the COM port in RaceAnalyzer before re-connecting; if this doesn't work, shutting down Race Analyzer, unplugging / re-plugging RaceCapture/Pro and then restarting the software does the trick.

Also on the list is we're going to build in the firmware upgrade process into RaceAnalyzer, making it a bit more convenient.

Thanks for the feedback, let us know how it goes with your testing!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter