PCB thingy with connectors and RPM

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

MichaelDrost

PCB thingy with connectors and RPM

Post by MichaelDrost »

Hello all,

After receiving my RCP last month (X-mas 2013 was excellent), I started toying and playing around and pretty soon I was knee deep in solder pads, wires, connectors and all the other stuff I wave around on race weekends.

So far I've sleeved most of my sensor wiring and put connectors on everything.

Still to do is to resleeve all cables in fireresistant sleeving.

However, I still want to add the LM2907 or 2917 to the mix, so I can convert the frequency coming of the ground side of the coil to a save voltage.

My idea was to put everything on one board and stick that under the RCP. I can then quickly and easily connect and disconnect sensors and other stuff.

Now the next stage would be to design a PCB to take care of wiring, power distribution, denoising and dropping the brakelight signal to 5v max.

So far I've started playing around with PCB Express, but before I put in more time, I'd love to find out if anybody else has considered doing something like this or if anyone has any interesting suggestions.

Yes, I know a Coil RPM signal converter is on the way, but my primary objective was to create an easy way of using my current batch of sensors (which all have the Hansen Hobbies .100" (2.54mm) latching polarized connectors) to the RCP.

Michael
Attachments
sensor_wiring.jpg
sensor_wiring.jpg (221.24 KiB) Viewed 4003 times

GTIspirit

Re: PCB thingy with connectors and RPM

Post by GTIspirit »

MichaelDrost wrote:...dropping the brakelight signal to 5v max.
That's nice looking work in the picture! Very professional looking.

Keep us posted on your solution to dropping the brake signal to 5V max. Though if you implement a digital solution it might not help me so much. I've got some analog circuits that go greater than the 5V that the RCPro can read, so I need some kind of circuit solution to say half the voltage. I'd rather that than subtracting a fixed offset. Designing electrical circuits isn't my thing, but I have the skills to fabricate something from a diagram so if your solution would work for me I'm interested.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

A resistor and a 5v zener diode can clamp a signal down to 5v. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diod ... _regulator
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter