CoilX

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Hutchie

CoilX

Post by Hutchie »

Hi,
My RPM signal on my MR2 is not clean enough even though it is circa 5v taken from the ECU.
Will the coilX work even though is quite a low voltage "unclean" signal? -no where near 400v!

Many thanks.

Phil.
Knowledge is power:-)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Hutchie, apologies for the late reply.

The CoilX module is designed to tap right into the coil pack primary (the (-) connection on the coil). It won't work with a 5v signal, by design.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

ohiokm11

CoilX Installation Difficulties

Post by ohiokm11 »

Brent,

I ordered CoilX and installed it Saturday prior to a race on Sunday. The application is a 2 stroke Honda 125cc engine on a shifter kart. The CoilX instructions detail connecting to the negative side of the coil and and the other to ground. There is no 12v source feeding the coil, only a ground and +, (coil is like this)

I connected the ground of coilx to the ground on the coil, and the Coilx "Coil" wire to the + wire going into the coil from the ignition. I don't have access to an ocilloscope to check whats coming out of these. RCP is run off a 12V battery pack that is only connected to RCP.

In the software I enabled the RPM and tried the clock divider of CLOCK/128 and CLOCK/32 and got no data either time, just zeros.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work properly?

-Ray

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

For the my CoilX install on my car I tapped into the trigger signal (ground) going to the coil. That goes to the coil side of the CoilX. You don't cut the trigger wire, you just tap into it.

The ground from the CoilX goes to a ground on the bike. I went directly to the battery.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The CoilX module is designed to work with a conventional coil as gizmodo described, where the spark is triggered by the negative going pulse on on input to the coil pack, with the other coil pack connection tied to +12v.

ohiokm11, so your coil pack is essentially opposite of that, with ground fixed, and the 12v pulse providing the trigger?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ohiokm11

Post by ohiokm11 »

brentp wrote:The CoilX module is designed to work with a conventional coil as gizmodo described, where the spark is triggered by the negative going pulse on on input to the coil pack, with the other coil pack connection tied to +12v.

ohiokm11, so your coil pack is essentially opposite of that, with ground fixed, and the 12v pulse providing the trigger?
That's correct Brent. The ground wire is grounded to the engine and the ground from the ignition box mounts to the same location. The + wire goes into the coil. I'm not sure that it is 12V though as there is no battery in the system, there is just a stator as shown below.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Unfortunately, coilx is not designed to interface with those types of coils.

its is possible to interface to that trigger signal with a custom circuit, but first we would need to see what the waveform looks like.

Would you be able to look at the signal with an oscilloscope?

ohiokm11

Post by ohiokm11 »

Well that's disappointing. Unfortunately no I do not have access to an oscilloscope to check the signal.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Try the local college or hackerspace to see if they can help you with measuring the signal. If you find a specifications sheet or more information from the manufacturer, post it here so we can learn more about how the ignition system works.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter